• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sticking agent for ribs

A little olive oil

^^^ This. Not even sure if its a "sticking agent" I just like the way they cook when I do it and I've done quite well in the rib category the last year.

Also, as others have mentioned, drizzle with oil and rub them up while your pits coming up to temp. I find no need to do anything prior to then.

I always rub mine with yellow mustard, then put on some brown sugar that I've dried out so it won't clump up, and then sprinkle on Butt Rub and wrap overnight.

I simply apply rub and watch the ribs sweat for about 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the ambient temp. When they sweat, the rub starts to melt into the meat.

i've tried them all.. oils work. Mustard works.. the bacon fat idea sounds good. what i do is prep the ribs and season side one.. light the smoker. once the rub has started to break down a little, flip and repeat. smokers hot - toss em on. i don't flip and rarely mop/spritz. i do foil tho.

I use teriyaki sauce as a sticking agent, it adds the umami factor with savory, sweet, salty, and bitter as balanced flavors..

Apply a thin coat then add the rub, let sit 10-20 minutes before going into the smoker.

I use soy sauce, applied with a spray bottle. It adds nice flavor. I use low sodium so the end result isn't too salty.

Anyone use grapeseed oil? Went to a BBQ class a while back and they recommended using that due to its higher flash point and it's pretty much tasteless. Haven't tried it since its about four times the cost of olive oil.

I don't see any need really to use mustard or oil to get rub to stick to meat. I don't use anything and I don't have a problem with rub falling off.

Same here. I used mustard a few times. Lately i just put the rub on and let it sweat. Always sticks.

I rinse the ribs and blot dry with a napkin and then apply rub while cooker is coming up to temp. Works just fine.

Try this next time. Apply rub as usual. Apply a small amount of mayonnaise & massage that into the rub. Maybe 2-3 Tablespoons of Mayo per Baby Back. I use Hellman's. Sounded goofy when I first read about it. Then I tried it. :thumb:

RibswithMayo_zpscd961f9b.jpg

Anyone have problems getting a smoke ring when oiling ribs? my last 2 rib tests have had very poor smoke ring when oiling

Anyone have problems getting a smoke ring when oiling ribs? my last 2 rib tests have had very poor smoke ring when oiling

I've never used oil, but in a BBQ class that I took last year, the instructor (Konrad Haskins) specifically advised against using oil for exactly this reason.

The diversity of responses shows that almost anything goes. The conclusion must be try any product and if you like it use it to get the same result. On the other hand as an example I get in a rut with salad dressing then after a few experiments have a new favourite.
Keep practising!!!!
John

After rinsing off the ribs, or any meat, I have a towel I use to pat dry the meat. After doing that, any seasoning will easily stick and not 'pool' as seasoning does of meat is wet from water.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I usually get a deep smoke ring, all the way through ribs when using zesty Italian.

Try this next time. Apply rub as usual. Apply a small amount of mayonnaise & massage that into the rub. Maybe 2-3 Tablespoons of Mayo per Baby Back. I use Hellman's. Sounded goofy when I first read about it. Then I tried it. :thumb:

RibswithMayo_zpscd961f9b.jpg

Did you wrap these? They look great.

Did you wrap these? They look great.
Thanks!!! I rarely wrap ribs any more. I found the Mayo & my rub, which has a fair amount of brown sugar and Turbinado sugar, @ 275 F almost always yields this result. Cheers!!!

Back