• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Your Favorite Hot Dog

TailGateJoecom

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I love a good hot dog, LOVE. I always try to sample the local dog joints when I travel, so if you have any must try spots in your neck of the woods lemme know.

Now, my chili dog may very well be the greatest chili dog in the world, I have had enough to know,lol, but other than that this here may be my favorite dog that I have created.

sanchize.jpg

sanchizecompshot.jpg

This is the "Sanchize Dog," created for the 2010 Great Hot Dog Cookoff and named in honor of NY Jets starting qb Mark Sanchez. We took second place for this one, and we were robbed!

What ya have here is:

• New England split top roll, griddle toasted with cilantro butter
  • 1/4 lb Nathans frank, skinnless and grilled
  • A slice of double smoked slab bacon, the same bacon that Peter Luger serves
  • Home made guacamole
  • Sour Cream
  • Home made pickled red onions
  • Cotija cheese

This was not our most successful dog we have entered into this competition, but it is my favorite.

So let's here some great dog ideas!

Looks great :hungry:

I made bagel dogs the other day in the oven. :thumb:

Sample of mine.
Home made Sav based on mountain Micks recipe.
my big change is to use a Cajun pepper blend to spice the meat when stuffing .

032Medium_zpsc9c41b16.jpg

042Medium_zpsd7ab51d0.jpg

cheers.
Titch

I'm a Chili dog junkie! My base hot dog is made from Bison at my local meat market. My signature dog
Sourdough Hotdog roll butter grilled, Bison Dog braise in Shiner Bach,Chipotle Baconaise, diced Texas Sweet onion, Añejo cheese, Bacon bits and Hatch Green chilis. BURRRRRRP!

Looks Like Some Great Hot Dogs from all over.

I just bought myself a larger sausage stuffer and plan on making my own hot dogs this summer. I prefer the German style frankfurter with the crunchy snap to the casing when bitten.

I used to order these from Buffalo, NY from a Polish butcher shop (Redlinsky's). Two years ago I found a semi-local German Butcher in Forked River, NJ that make a product almost as good. It saves me the overnight shipping expenses.

Everyone has different tastes and likes, some like the casings, some don't.

Well I don't have a specific place but here in LA around all sporting events and Hollywood spots there are cart vendors selling hotdogs wrapped in bacon and topped with grilled onions,mustard,tomato,ketchup,mayo and jalapeños. Usually cost around 2-3 dollars. I did some last week in my WSM. But they use a griddle not a smoker. I was told they are called LA dogs.
1356970551.jpg

1356970661.jpg

I just bought myself a larger sausage stuffer and plan on making my own hot dogs this summer. I prefer the German style frankfurter with the crunchy snap to the casing when bitten.

I used to order these from Buffalo, NY from a Polish butcher shop (Redlinsky's). Two years ago I found a semi-local German Butcher in Forked River, NJ that make a product almost as good. It saves me the overnight shipping expenses.

Yes,love the Crunch.
We use local pig Skins:wink:

I like a good Chicago style dog

Was in Chicago a few months ago, great town, loved Malnatti's pizza and Gibson's steakhouse. When it comes to their dogs, honestly, I don't know if I like them or not. Sounds crazy, but it's true, I can't make up my mind, the only food item in the world that has flummoxed me like this.

Was in Chicago a few months ago, great town, loved Malnatti's pizza and Gibson's steakhouse. When it comes to their dogs, honestly, I don't know if I like them or not. Sounds crazy, but it's true, I can't make up my mind, the only food item in the world that has flummoxed me like this.

I think its the pickle and the sport peppers that do it for me so if you put that on just about any dog it would probably become a new favorite...I like some slaw dogs as well. I used to work at this paintball field in North Carolina and the owners wife mde the best slaw dog with a sweet no mayo slaw.

I think its the pickle and the sport peppers that do it for me so if you put that on just about any dog it would probably become a new favorite.

Although I do not eat them often for health reasons and because of the nitrates they contain, for me, its the mustard and a small shake of celery salt. Oh, and it has to be either vienna beef or hebrew national. The hands down best place to get them in chicago is Hot Doug's (also get the duck fat fries) closely followed by the weiner circle (where the workers talk $#*% t to you- don't forget to order a chocolate shake, explained here-

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wieners_Circle"]The Wieners Circle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Hot Doug's, which serves exotic sausages on the special menu like bison, has a line out the door a lot of days:
http://www.hotdougs.com/

Last edited:
Regional favorites in northern New England, the red hot dog that I grew up with, these have been made down the road in Bangor for about 100 years by W.A. Bean, a local butcher and meat packer.

dogs2.jpg

For me, the best dog is the sabrett natural casing all beef 1/2# dog. Yes, that is right, 1/2#. For me, I prefer them prepared Jersey style. Deep fried at around 325* until the skin "rips". Put them on a cheap bun (or 3 in the case of the 1/2# dogs) with ketchup and green relish.

Were those Sahlen's hot dogs?

Used to be a place up in Buffalo called Pat's. They grilled Sahlen's dogs over charcoal. Ate those whenever we would travel up to see family.

Have you tried an authentic Hebrew National smoked over cherry/maple?

Wound up cooking thousands of them during the OBR response... and man they were go-od!!

TailGate Love the dog. Sounds like it would be great with a cold beer outside MetLife Season is still not over long enough for me to like the name. Long time suffering Jets fan myself. See Rex's tattoo in the Daily News today?Lmao Only the Jet's coach.

Back