Another Foul Christmas

pinkelephant

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Time for another Foul Christmas (2nd annual).
We will be running around passing out smoked chickens this afternoon.
Last christmas, I water smoked 12 chickens on brinkmann water smokers.

This summer, I water smoked 12 chickens in one UDS.
Now I'm water smoking 24 chickens on two UDS's
I got my grillin baskets out (I have my drums set up to be smokers or grills) and fired them up with mesquite chunks and blue bag kingsford.
Foulxmas01-1.jpg

Foulxmas02-1.jpg

Foulxmas03-1.jpg

I seasoned the birds with Big Ron's HOH, then added Lowry's seasoned salt over that.
Foulxmas04-1.jpg

My 99 cent water pans with hot water and 4 cans of Bush per pan.
Foulxmas05-1.jpg

I had trouble holding temp the last time I did this, so I added more exhaust to my lids. So far, it seems to be getting it done
Foulxmas06-1.jpg

Foulxmas07-1.jpg

Foulxmas08-1.jpg

Foulxmas09-1.jpg

Foulxmas11-1.jpg

The lid has been shut for an hour and a half now and the UDS temp is up to about 270.

I bought the birds on Friday evening. I placed them in a cooler and left them in there with no ice until this morning because it was between 15 and 40F outside. that worked out nice.

All went off without a hitch.
I started getting ready last night by doing a bunch of drilling and adding more vents to the lids and replacing the pizza pans with steel plates under the baskets. I finished this morning by converting my second UDS to have multiple rack heights for grilling like my first UDS. I didn't get the chicken on until noon. The first birds came off around 430.
I wrapped them up and passed them out in my town (holding back 2 for us)
Foulxmas20.jpg

Foulxmas21.jpg

Foulxmas22.jpg

Foulxmas23.jpg

The last batch was done around 530. My wife drove off and delivered chickens south and east and I drove off delivering them west and north.
Foulxmas24.jpg

Foulxmas25.jpg

Foulxmas26.jpg

Foulxmas27.jpg

Everyone loved the chickens. I still didn't get enough smoke in them to my liking but it was definately in there and it was god and juicy.
I used 2 and a half bags of Kingsford, 2 bags of mesquite chunks and a 12 pack of busch (8 in the water and 4 for basting by dumping a can an hour in each drum.)
I love my UDS's!

The UDS makes it alot easier than the brinkmann water smokers. it's nice to be able to walk away for an hour and a half

We kept two birds for ourselves and inhaled the first one in minutes. My wife put the second one in the oven and forgot about it. We looked for it the next evening and it was bad (room temp for 26 hours). Out of all those birds, I only ate a leg and thigh

Back