• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Reusing Turkey Brine for Chickens

frognot

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Got my turkey in Patio Daddio's Ultimate TG Turkey brine (http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2009/11/ultimate-thanksgiving-turkey-brine.html) and am gonna take it out & smoke today. Thinking out doing a couple beer can chickens for dinner tonight & was wondering a couple of things.

1. Any reason not to use the turkey brine for those chickens.? It was made yesterday & always lots of ice in it.

2. Is brining a couple chickies for 4 hours or so (whatever time needed to cook a 14 lb turkey at 325 on a BGE) gonna do much for them?

This brine looked/smelled incredible and i hate to waste it.

As long as the brine has been kept cold I see no reason you cant dunk a few cluckers in there. I wet brine 1 hr per lb so it should work well.

It's a done deal. Thank y'all for the speedy feedback.

It sounds like it's too late, but if the brine has been used for the turkey I'm not sure I would feel comfortable using it for chickens. No science behind it, it just sounds like an opportunity for problems.

Butchers re-use their brine all the time, they just need to keep it refrigerated and scoop loose parts out of it. The salt environment and temperature is not a nice one for bacteria. That's the whole purpose of salting and brining anyway.

Butchers re-use their brine all the time, they just need to keep it refrigerated and scoop loose parts out of it. The salt environment and temperature is not a nice one for bacteria. That's the whole purpose of salting and brining anyway.

Not flavor and juiciness? I'm don't brine to kill bacteria... but that's just me.

P.S. If you don't get my wry sense of humor, I'm just joking with you. :p

Not flavor and juiciness? I'm don't brine to kill bacteria... but that's just me.

P.S. If you don't get my wry sense of humor, I'm just joking with you. :p

For more flavor, you just leave the chunks in, the more the better ! :mrgreen:

Back