Party for 25

AUradar

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
thinking about helping a friend out for an anniversy party and need some ideas on meat count.

They asked for regular ribs, baby back ribs, and chicken for 25 people. Also sides, but I'm fine with that.

For regular ribs I'm suggesting/thinking St Louis style ribs.

so how much of each would sound right?

A chicken is about 4-5 people, right? So if I figure 5 people per chicken and 3 bones of ribs, thats 5 chickens and 8 slabs.

but then that sounds like a lot.

what says the wise brethern?

If you try to do 25 portions of everything there will be lots left over. Two kinds of ribs is a bit stange. Chicken can be 8 piece or 4 (quarters). My experience is quarters work best - but I always ask if they want all white meat - it's amazing now many all white meat chicken cooks I've done.

Try and talk them into one type of rib and what kind of chicken. If they want white and dark, go quarters.

I agree with Dave; personally if they dont have a preference on the chicken I would do thighs and the two rib thing is strange my preference would be spares or BB's--one or the other.

did some asking and they did say chicken quarters. Not sure why they wanted both style ribs. I didnt' think it would matter much. You cook them the same don't you?

I've decided to go get prices on everything this evening and pass that info along. Let them decide how much of what they want. I'm thinking it might be a "so and so likes ribs, so and so likes baby backs, so and so likes chicken, ect"

did some asking and they did say chicken quarters. Not sure why they wanted both style ribs. I didnt' think it would matter much. You cook them the same don't you?

I've decided to go get prices on everything this evening and pass that info along. Let them decide how much of what they want. I'm thinking it might be a "so and so likes ribs, so and so likes baby backs, so and so likes chicken, ect"

Spares take longer then babybacks to cook

Back