Thermometers?

A

AlabamaQ

It is probably a neophyte's sin to use a meat thermometer. You guys probably "just know" when things are done. But I was looking for suggestions for a good remote reading thermometer for guys just starting up. Any suggestions?

AQ

It is absolutely NOT a sin to use a meat thermometer. Knowing the internal temperature of the meat is very important for many reasons. Spend some time on this forum and you'll see that most of us rely on accurate temperature readings for many things, food safety the most important among them.

In grilling, accurate internal temperature readings are the best way to ensure proper doneness. That applies especially for poultry, where things can go from unsafely under cooked to over cooked very quickly. Even on the bigger cuts in BBQ, knowing the internal temperature is important. For those who wrap their meats in foil (I'm one of them), it's usually done at a particular internal temperature. Pork shoulder can sit for hours at 165 degrees IT or so, so I wrap as soon as it reaches that temperature to push it through the stall. When it reaches 185, it's ready to slice. 195 to 200 and it's ready to pull.

Brisket on the other hand is not so predictable, but you'll still want to know the internal temperature. It might be done anywhere from 180 (rarely) or 190 (a little more often) or 200 (most often) or above. You'll have to probe the meat to feel for doneness, but it's a good idea to know when to start and understand what's going on inside the meat.

All that said, the Maverick ET-732 remote thermometer is one of the best on the market these days. You can buy it from one of several Brethren's online stores, check out Brethren Sales and Ventures. For instant read thermometer, you can't go wrong with a Superfast Waterproof Thermapen.

Good luck and Smoke On!

Honestly a thermometer would have helped me when I first tried smoking shoulders and ribs. I kinda went on time and cooker temp and tried tugging the bone on the shoulder to test doneness and sometimes I pulled it before it was done (starving family, aint putting it back on) or it was overcooked and dry by the time I checked the bone.

I don't care for the remote, they are good if your smoker loses a lot of heat when open, but I don't have that problem and use a Taylo digital

I don't care for the remote, they are good if your smoker loses a lot of heat when open, but I don't have that problem and use a Taylo digital

That's a good point. When I used the Char-Griller it leaked heat/smoke all over the place. I didn't want to open it much to check on it, making a bad situation worse. A remote thermometer was a good investment.

Even if he were to invest in a good Taylor or Thermapen at later point, he could still make use of the Maverick to monitor the smoker's temperature.

I got my Maverick ET 732 for the longer cooks so I can work on other things rather than checking in on my cooker (wsm). Plus running in and out of the house during winter gets to be a pain. And the Thermapen is great to have so you can check temps fast and ultra accurate! Blue is the best for that! :cool:

I have been using thermos long before I found this forum. I think they are the most important tool for consistent quality meats. Pulling food at the proper doneness in my opinion is the key to good food.

If you can afford the extra $, the ET-732 is superior to the ET-73. Better range, easier to use, etc.

Back