• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

St. Louis style or baby back ribs for turn in?

Smokin' Hicks

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
i like booth, prob baby backs a bit more
the reason i ask which kind of rib is used at turn in is that i can get my hands on some berkshire pork baby back ribs and they are awesome just can only get baby backs....are these acceptable for turn in? or only st louis style?

is one preferred by the judges over the other....kinda like you dont have to have skin on chicken but you kinda do....don't have to have burnt ends with brisket but you really should

I have seen both of them win in the past. We are personally a St. Louis rib team ourselves but that is our preference for our area.

How many racks do you guys typically cook to get a good looking full turn-in box?

We cooked only Spares out in AZ and CA. We did OK with them and much prefer them over BB's.

We started off cooking 6 racks for comps, but now just do 4.

Oh yeah, and our best finishes were with untrimmed spares that we trimmed to St L style that we bought at .99/lb.

Most teams use spares because they are meaty, look good in a box, and more forgiving, but plenty of teams cook and win with baby backs too. Both are legal turn ins, so go with what you do best.

We've only used bb's up to this point and they have been middle to back of the field. During the off season we dramatically changed what we are doing and practiced with spares and bb's. The next two comps we're going to use the same recipe / technique for bb's at one and spares at the other. If there is a dramatic difference between the two we'll have our answer. You might want to try something similar.

Rather have backs, but spares seem to dominate the judges liking in the south....that's just me though.

KCBS both are acceptable.
IBCA only spare ribs.

KCBS, either, but normally St Louis Spares
IBCA, pretty much only St Louis Spares
MBN, pretty much only Baby/Loin Backs

Largely they define what the *perfect* rib is differently; notably on
tenderness, but also on flavors. Where KCBS wants a bite-through
rib, there is a very small window when a Baby/Loin back has rendered
the fat and is bite-through before it becomes closer to the pull from
the bone cleanly definition of MBN.

Also, I think it's less the norm for KCBS and surely IBCA to have no
sauce on the ribs, whereas MBN you'll see as many Memphis style