View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
joeysmac
On the road to being a farker

Default 1st smoked chicken legs on UDS - with Pron...

As always, please let me know what I may have done wrong, or what you would have done differently...you are not going to hurt my feelings. I just want to learn...

I needed something to smoke tonight that could be done in a few hours, so I tried some chicken legs. I got the chicken legs yesterday and did three different flavors/marinades (all three done last night and in fridge for about 18 hours):

Brine - Cold Water, Kosher Salt, Brown Sugar
Rub - Wizzy's Smokin' Rub
BBQ - Kroger Brand BBQ Sauce

Here are the times/temps:
(Time - Meat, side temp/top temp)
5:00 PM - Meat On, 180/225
5:30 PM - 133, 160/215
5:45 PM - 143, 175/225
6:00 PM - 150, 175/225
6:15 PM - 155, 175/225
6:30 PM - 160, 190/235
*6:45 PM - 163, 200/250
*7:00 PM - 174, 205/265
7:10 PM - 180, 200/250

* = Opened a intake valve for about 15 minutes to boost the UDS temp when the in-laws arrived hungry.

The Verdict:
The Brine - Way too salty...not very good at all. Not even sure what it was supposed to taste like, but I'll likely try much less salt next time, and maybe even a shorter soak.

The Rub - This was not bad, but it was not great either. It was Wizzy's smoking rub, which I got when I got his Vinegar BBQ sauce (which is fantastic, by the way). The rub flavor was good, but maybe I left it on too long before smoking as it was very pronounced...I will certainly try it again, but not on smoked chicken legs.

The BBQ Sauce - This was by far the best flavor. I didn't have a ton of smoke, but I cooked them slow to make sure they would not be done too early. I think the other flavors took on way too much smoke (perhaps from the low-n-slow cook), and I think the bbq sauce shielded the meat from taking on as much smoke.

Next time I won't flavor the chicken as long, and will probably cook them a little hotter/faster...any other ideas or suggestions? How do you guys do your chicken legs?

And of course, The PRON:
Top = Brine
Bottom Left = Wizzy's Smokin' Rub
Bottom Right = BBQ