Jumping in to a MBN event

smokincracker

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have always been interested in MBN style cooking. I have decided to jump right into it by trying to enter the Big Pig Jig MBN contest in Vianna, GA in a few weeks. The only problem I have is I need a real crash course in a hurry concerning what I need to be prepared to do. I have never even been to a MBN contest. I am looking for details from a reliable source. Perhaps a reply from a judge or two would help. I know I’m nuts but WTH we only journey down this smoky road once RIGHT. Anyway and thoughts would be appreciated. Also I have not found a source for MBN rules… I'll try anything once

Thanks
Cracker

I have seen Jack Mcdavid in action, he turns his hat sideways and dances and sells like a machine.

Thanks for the help guys... Its a done deal

I'm entered in whole hog and ribs at The BIG PIG JIG® in Vienna, GA November 6-7-8
I'm looking forward to it and any other thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks Guys

Thanks for the help guys... Its a done deal

I'm entered in whole hog and ribs at The BIG PIG JIG® in Vienna, GA November 6-7-8
I'm looking forward to it and any other thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks Guys
Guess we all know where the AR winnings went to now! Hope you paid off your charge card! :twisted:

smokincracker, BEST OF LUCK!!!

I've judged Big Pig Jig now 6 years; will skip this one... (long story)

Big/large flat field; prepare for ants (have ant killer ready).

The biggest difference, largely, is the on site judging. That, and the amount
of meat you'll need to cook to handle 2 turn-ins and 3 on-sites. One whole hog
is fine, however you'll probably cook between 10 to 15 racks of ribs for this.

On site, as I said in earlier stuff, is still about the taste of the Q. However, the
site judging itself is about a) cleanliness and b) presentation. Have a 6 to 8
minute "show n tell" about your cooker, the wood you use, time & temperatures,
blah blah blah. However, realize that they have 13 minutes from start to finish.
You want them to eat your Q as much as possible. Go through your spiel, then
have them sit and present the Q to them (bring it from the cooker). Also, dont
feel the need to talk the whole time while they're eating, especially if it requires
them to respond. Let 'em eat. :)

Also, MIM/MBA dont sauce much if any. IF you present sauce on the side, it is
required that the judge use it and judge based upon it (rather than taking his
opinion without and another with and then determining what he/she likes best).
If your Q is fabulous with sauce, go with that. If it's better without (and most
are, IMHO), then go sans sauce. 90% go sans sauce. Sauce is WAY WAY WAY
too regional and personal... One guy likes sweet, the next doesn't, etc.

For the onsite, have a table and a chair for the judge under a tent. Some really
go all out with fine china and table linens, etc. That's nice, but not judged. As
long as it's CLEAN, it's fine. I suggest a simple fairly cheap vinyl tablecloth that
can be wiped quickly between onsite judging (you have about 2 minutes between
them). I do suggest using a good quality paper plate; chinet. Hate to hand over
a piece of Q on a plate and have it hit the ground... Clean fork. Water; have
a fresh bottle of water for the judge to cleanse his/her palate. NAPKIN. Some
like to display their rub with a small sample there in a small/tiny bowl. Not a bad
idea. Perhaps a tiny sample spoon there with it...

Cleanliness is judged on the cooker, your site, tables, and all your team members.
Best to have everyone wearing similar clothing, and CLEAN clothing. If you have
someone stay up all night working the fire, etc. it can get a bit nasty. Change
about 15 to 20 minutes before all of this starts.

You should find plenty of Hog displays online. Most create a bed of cabbage or
lettuce around it, trimmed with purple grapes, tomatoes, lemons (for yellow)
and pineapples, etc. Also, many do this on a smaller scale for their ribs (create
a display).

Use the rib that's on display. Dont cut the rib, except perhaps slice off the ends.
The judge should get about 1/2 a rack+-. NOT cut. They need to pull it apart.
The meat should pull cleanly from the bone with a little resistance (not falling off),
but only a little resistance. If done correctly, the bone will turn white in a
minute or two... After that, same as KCBS basically.

HAVE FUN.

Thanks, and you're welcome. I'm a 50/50 Judge/Cook; judge MIM/MBA and cook FBA, GBA, and just started KCBS. MIM/MBA is a genuine pain in the butt (not pork BTW)
largely because of the sheer volume of meat and it's almost impossible for a smaller 2
person team to compete effectively with all the on-sites, etc. However, I must admit,
I really enjoy judging blind ribs. Absolute favorite.

Now I'm off to try to clean out the flippin' Canola Oil that I so ingeniously used
to re-season my older Lang... Makes some seriously skunky Q now; GREAT.

Thanks for the story lake dogs!, I read it twice, alot of info and interesting read. I don't think I would ever try that one.

One other thing I'd like to mention that Lake Dogs can confirm is to make sure you have meat in reserve (staggered cook times) in case you make it to the finals. If I remember correctly, the 1st place teams in each category go head to head for the finals. The finals will consist of 4 judges visiting you at the same time.

I mention this because we weren't prepared the first time we made finals and it's a lesson that still sticks with me. :biggrin:

I can't believe Jay Diddy stayed out of this thread, beings he's your wing man........

I can't believe Jay Diddy stayed out of this thread, beings he's your wing man........

Yep we are doing all three now! Whole Hog, Whole Shoulders, Ribs....I'll let him chim in if he wants...It should be real fun.

Thanks, and you're welcome. I'm a 50/50 Judge/Cook; judge MIM/MBA and cook FBA, GBA, and just started KCBS. MIM/MBA is a genuine pain in the butt (not pork BTW)
largely because of the sheer volume of meat and it's almost impossible for a smaller 2
person team to compete effectively with all the on-sites, etc. However, I must admit,
I really enjoy judging blind ribs. Absolute favorite.

Now I'm off to try to clean out the flippin' Canola Oil that I so ingeniously used
to re-season my older Lang... Makes some seriously skunky Q now; GREAT.

Thanks for all the good info.... This helps alot

IF you can, stagger your cook times by a few hours on one shoulder (held back for
finals) and 2 or 3 ribs if you can. I must admit, that's easier said than done. In
judging an MBN "style" event this past weekend (they're working on getting
sanctioned), the absolute best whole hog and shoulder entries in the preliminaries
were from one team. Then, when they came back for finals, those entries weren't
nearly as good, they ended up 2nd and 3rd in those. If it has just been on
1 round, they'd have taken 1st in both and GC. Ended up they were RGC... Not
certain they could've done anything about the whole hog (can't really cook 2 of them)

As the other gentlemen stated, pretty much this is why I REALLY enjoy judging MBN
(previously said MBA, early on we were talking about calling it Assoc vs. Network, still
have that stuck in my dain-bramaged head) and competing in the others... Just too
much; too big.

smokincracker, BEST OF LUCK. I'm off to judge the newly renamed Deep Roots
Festival (was SweetWater). Another MBN event. BREAK A LEG!!!

Oh, further on this great first round entry that placed 2nd and 3rd. I used it (after
prelims) to show my partner on my team why you should never ever under any
circumstance present sauce with your bbq, at least not in MIM/MBN.

First, this guy had a VERY good sauce, it took 2nd place in the sauce contest.

However, his pulled pork and his whole hog were FANTASTIC and head and
shoulders above the next best (in prelim round). HOWEVER, he presented his
sauce with it. The sauce, even using tiny amounts, was strong enough that
it nullified any of the wonderful subtle smoke taste in the whole hog. His scores
ended up lower than they could've been, because he presented it with sauce.

IF you BBQ is great, let it stand alone. However, if your sauce really compliments
your meat and doesn't overtake it, then present it with sauce.

I am curious, how does KCBS "judge" this? If a person presents an entry with
sauce on the side, how is that judged? Is there such a thing as "sauce on the side"?
I've always presented my ribs and chicken with sauce, brisket and pulled pork
sans sauce. For that matter, do most pulled pork entries (high-scoring entries I
mean) and/or brisket entries come in with sauce, or sans sauce?
Maybe I'm screwing up... Would love to know.

Back