Offset smoker question

MuddHonda

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I am planning on building an offset smoker I have a 15.5" x18" fire barrel and a 23" x36" smoke barrel, how big of a hole do I need from the fire barrel to the smoker? Also would a 3.5" exaust pipe work for the chimney?

Visualize a standard size brick turned on its side. Shoot for that.

I'm a newbie, so take anything I say with a grain of salt. I just bought the CG from Lowes and I believe the chimney is 3" in diameter, so the 3.5 should work. The opening between the firebox and smoker is approximately 10" wide and about 6" tall at the tallest point. The opening has the profile of a football.

I would go get actual measurements for you, but there's 2 butts and a fatty on there right now. :-D

As for the chimney question...anything that'll move the air will work. Make sure that it is always open during the cook cycle.

are you planning a horizontal offset where the firebox is on the side, or a stacked offset where the firebox is behind the chamber.

Do I need a water tray? if so where is the best spot for it? Should there be more than one rack? if more how far apart?There will be more questions as I get started, just don't want the modify it later so plan first ,measure twice, cut once. If you are going to make a cut you should make the first one right!!! Thanks

Back