Last Night's Prime Rib

campdude

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So I decided to pull a rib roast out of the freezer and smoke it up yesterday. I had some errands to run which took longer than expected and got it on later than I wanted to. No problem... so I thought. It was one of those pieces of meat which didn't want to come up to temp. I like doing PR at 230*-240* until it hits 125 IT. I pull it off and rest, then put it in at 500*-550* for 6 to 8 mins to crisp up the outside of the meat. It was just under 5#, so I figured 3 to 3 1/2 hours to get it to 125*. It took almost 4 1/2 hours. Dinner wound up being late. When I cut it it wasn't as tender as I would have liked it to be. The flavor was good, but not one of my better PR's that I've done. I made a cocnut pie for desert and had a nice scotch after dinner, which helped out. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
You did a beautiful job cooking that. I blame the toughness on the beef. I've had similar problems in the past. There are a few stores I no longer shop at for beef and the problem has never recurred.

You did a beautiful job cooking that. I blame the toughness on the beef. I've had similar problems in the past. There are a few stores I no longer shop at for beef and the problem has never recurred.
I got this piece of meat at the store I always shop at. I picked up two that day and the other one was like butta. Every now and then you get a piece that just doesn't want to cooperate.

I pulled the leftover out of the fridge, trimmed all the fat off, and then sliced very thinly. I made a couple of roast beef sammies for lunch. Wow, better than last night's dinner. We love rare roast beef, the flavor was deeper, and it was much more tender than last night. Sorry no pron, they disappeared too quickly!

Back