Cleaning the inside of Chargriller Smoker

Shooody

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
What do you guys use to clean the inside of your smokers?

I just scrape out the big stuff with a wide putty knife. That's it. Cheers!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and a pressure washer.

I just scrape out the big stuff with a wide putty knife. That's it. Cheers!!!

Me, too - but I hit it with PAM or something like it to keep rust away. Cost me a few bucks in CG replacement parts to learn that!

I dont clean it either. I think of it like a frying pan. The more seasoning the better. I have one of those little offset cheapo with the thin metal. Been using it for about two years and the build up in the lid is so thick that the lid is twice as heavy if not more.

When you are down around metal black buildup can drip, crack and fall down on your food. Once it builds up it will not drip or fall.

Build up is a good thing IMO.

I just statrted making one of those double drum wood burning stoves into a smoker. It has rust on it. I just cleaned it and removed the loose scale. Then heated it up and loaded it down with veg oil. After several cooks the fat will build up and season the inside. Then after every cook I brush the outside with veg oil. The veg oil will build up and season the outside. After that it will never be cleaned.

I line the bottom of my offset brinkmann with tin foil then you just take it out after 3 or 4 smokes and put in new.

Back