Konro Grill / Yakitori - Ready For Testing And Tasting!

Steaksscallops_zps6e807126.jpg

I envision a patio table with one of these recessed into to top. with a bit of a ledge, inch or two... insulated firebox, to protect the legs of your guest and stone / tile top.

Another project for the ever growing list...

I envision a patio table with one of these recessed into to top. with a bit of a ledge, inch or two... insulated firebox, to protect the legs of your guest and stone / tile top.

Another project for the ever growing list...

That's a great idea!

I like to set up my 3 foot long yakitori grill next to the patio table and serve people right off the grill, late nite, with some cold beer. These are great grills for socializing. My own little izakaya in the back yard....lol...

We set the Konro a couple of feet away, and cook then serve to a communal platter, it is very social. It does get warm around the grill, but, it's a perfect social cooker

I like to set up my 3 foot long yakitori grill next to the patio table and serve people right off the grill, late nite, with some cold beer. These are great grills for socializing. My own little izakaya in the back yard....lol...

Carbon, your build was what inspired me to build mine and of course, landarc's yakitori posting!

Bastages, always something to build, lol.

Curious, how much does your Konro weigh? Looks like it's made entirely of steel.

We set the Konro a couple of feet away, and cook then serve to a communal platter, it is very social. It does get warm around the grill, but, it's a perfect social cooker

The Konro is going to fill my needs to grill a steak, burger, fish, etc. during the week and some garage help feeds.

In a party environment, I'll use it just like you stated, appetizers, warm, social, communal platter.....

Awesome build and great cook!

Did the sides / bottom get too hot?

Awesome build and great cook!

Did the sides / bottom get too hot?

I was going to shoot the box with an IR thermo but got carried away in the cook.

Based upon the missing hair on my arms and blisters on my hands, I'd say 75% of the heat goes straight up 15% sides and about 10% bottom. I have about a 4" draft from the bottom to the charcoal grate.

I'm going to be cooking on it again this week and I'll shoot some temps around the box just to see how and where the heat is.

I was thinking on having one ceramic coated for chits and giggles.

Welding gloves and long utensils are helpful for those items that are not skewered and need turning.

I have read, even with the diatomaceous earth type Konro's that a board is often placed between the bottom of Konro and the table or setting surface.

Curious, how much does your Konro weigh? Looks like it's made entirely of steel.

Well, it's quite heavy, as I keep welding little designs on it and modifying the grill here and there. It weighs at least 60 lbs now and it's 1/8" steel all around.

And what I like about the length of my grill is that I can just light one end of the grill and cook on that end and follow it as the lit coals slowly migrate to the other end. I can grill continuously for at least 3 hours without having to reload this way.

My grill does radiate a lot of heat, just like my big screen tv, but that'll be most welcomed during the cooler months....:)

Well, it's quite heavy, as I keep welding little designs on it and modifying the grill here and there. It weighs at least 60 lbs now and it's 1/8" steel all around.

And what I like about the length of my grill is that I can just light one end of the grill and cook on that end and follow it as the lit coals slowly migrate to the other end. I can grill continuously for at least 3 hours without having to reload this way.

My grill does radiate a lot of heat, just like my big screen tv, but that'll be most welcomed during the cooler months....:)

I thought yours might be a little heavy, mine weighs in at 41 lbs. :thumb:

Hmmm, I have two 24" pieces bent right now, with open ends. I guess I could splice the two together and make a monster 48" x 10" x 10" Konro?

Using regular lump, you probably want something under there. If you use Binchotan, you NEED something. It will scorch wood

Wow, those are beautiful! I would love to be on your list for the next set.

Thanks! I've been using the heck out of mine lately. I don't have a small lump burner and I've found that my Konro is perfect for the two of us. Just light up a chimney of lump and dump it in. Fire is plenty hot and last a few hours, more than enough time to cook my steaks, chicken, salmon, shrimp, veggies, etc.

Thanks! I've been using the heck out of mine lately. I don't have a small lump burner and I've found that my Konro is perfect for the two of us. Just light up a chimney of lump and dump it in. Fire is plenty hot and last a few hours, more than enough time to cook my steaks, chicken, salmon, shrimp, veggies, etc.

Just curious to see how you like this cooker after having used it for awhile?

I am thinking about building one next time I am home for a long weekend, but wanted to get your updated thoughts on what you would do different if anything

Just curious to see how you like this cooker after having used it for awhile?

I am thinking about building one next time I am home for a long weekend, but wanted to get your updated thoughts on what you would do different if anything

I have been using it a few times a month. I can't really think of anything I'd do different other than make a bigger one for larger groups. I use about 1/2 a chimney now for the two of us. Just dump more towards one end and keep the other end as a cooler spot if needed.

Would be nice to insulate it somehow as it radiates the heat. It could double as a fire feature or heater and keep everybody warm at the table or patio, lol.

Back