Newbie question about "competition" PP and sauce

ButchB

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am preparing for my first competition coming up and need some input on my pulled pork sauce. Anytime I make PP, I always make a standard eastern NC vinegar sauce for it and everybody loves it. However, looking at pictures of turn in boxes it appears like most guys use a thicker style sauce for competition. Am I right? While my vinegar sauce is awesome, it's not gonna really add to the color and shine of the entry when in the box like a thicker sauce would. And I know the appearance is only part of the score but i'm still just curious what everybody else uses? Thanks!

ButchB,
As a judge I would agree with your evaluation. What I have been seeing lately is beautifully glazed money muscle and both sausced and non sauced PP. In my experience most cooks do not submit the real vinagery sauces.
Theresa

Being from NC as well, I can tell you vinegar sauce doesn't work. Usually get hit pretty hard across the board. I still use a thinner sauce, but sweeter and gives a nice color and shine.

What I have been told (but apparently do not execute) is that shine is important. Sweet and a little bite is the preferred thing, not vinegar, a pure vinegar sauce is gonna hurt you more often than not.

Although I personally LOVE a vinegar sauce on PP, it DOESN'T work in competition.

Don't worry TOO much about "shine" on your pork as long as it doesn't look dry.

Also, don't use too much sauce and mask the flavor of the pork. Balance is a wonderful thing in flavor!

I love vinegar sauce. We turned it in when we first started and got spanked badly. Don't do it. Traditional hickory with a little sweet and heat. Not too much either.

i like mustard based sauce but will not turn it in (although this year anything might have helped :grin:). for shine, experement with some agave nectar in as a glaze or mixed into a sauce.

Back