• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Added a clip so I can hang the lid on the side of the drum..
npqfde.jpg

1607spx.jpg

2cr6d0m.jpg

Decided copy another brother here to make a new and wider stainless basket today. All that's left is to make several larger holes so the ash falls through...

r1d8cl.jpg

24estjl.jpg

2jeuyq8.jpg

That looks fairly familiar...:biggrin: FYI Doc...that design does not like lump charcoal. I had to re-light mine 3 times Sunday at Paul Kirk's class...it kept cloggin' up at the bottom. If you wanna burn lump...use a charcoal grate (style) for the bottom. It was my first time using lump (provided by the class)...briqs work like a charm and will hold a low-n-slow forever...I used 3/4 holes in the bottom.

OH NOW you tell me!!! Just kidding. lololololol

Thanks for the info JD I'll slice some slots and drill some hols in it this weekend. So the 3.4 holes wernt big enough or could it hace been just too few?

On my way!!!!!!

WOW...what a thread, I am officially giving it Legendary Thread status...:wink:

legendarythread__medium_171.jpg

Anyway, I am on my way to building my first UDS. I recently acquired 4 55 gallons drums for 5 bucks each and a older weber 22 inch grill for FREE!!. From the E on the vent I believe it to be a 1983 model. Its almost in too good of shape to ruin. It is missing its ash pan but thats easy to work around. I will be keeping it around and only borrowing the grates and lid for my UDS. I also have a brinkman electric smoken'grill that the neighbor was tossing out so I grabbed it for my ash pan/fire grate holder upper thinggy.:eusa_clapSmoker and food pron ASAP!

grill379.jpg

vent725.jpg

Thinking out loud

a 90 degree bend on the inside of each air intake. Swirl the air inside a bit to get a bit more "convection" and smooth out temps across the grates.

Eh? Whaddya think?

a 90 degree bend on the inside of each air intake. Swirl the air inside a bit to get a bit more "convection" and smooth out temps across the grates.

Eh? Whaddya think?

I have actually been thinking the same thing, point them in the same direction (left or right not up or down). Anyone with thermal convection dynamic knowledge. (is that even a thing :rolleyes:)

Eh? Whaddya think?

I couldn't get all the way to 90* but...

2928i85.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

lol Not for long though. I'll be cutting sections of that for my next drum build for a friend in the next few days.. I had planed on using it for an intake on mine but money talks. :cool:

I've been thinkin'...has anyone tried putting an access panel on their drums...ala WSM? It would have helped a lot last weekend when I was having' issues burning lump in my briq basket. I've got a few more drums laying around I can chop up...I think I'll come up with a sketch and see what you guys think.

WOW...what a thread, I am officially giving it Legendary Thread status...:wink:​

legendarythread__medium_171.jpg

Anyway, I am on my way to building my first UDS. I recently acquired 4 55 gallons drums for 5 bucks each and a older weber 22 inch grill for FREE!!. From the E on the vent I believe it to be a 1983 model. Its almost in too good of shape to ruin. It is missing its ash pan but thats easy to work around. I will be keeping it around and only borrowing the grates and lid for my UDS. I also have a brinkman electric smoken'grill that the neighbor was tossing out so I grabbed it for my ash pan/fire grate holder upper thinggy.:eusa_clapSmoker and food pron ASAP!​

grill379.jpg

vent725.jpg

Awesome...is it done yet??? :twisted:

I've been thinkin'...has anyone tried putting an access panel on their drums...ala WSM? It would have helped a lot last weekend when I was having' issues burning lump in my briq basket. I've got a few more drums laying around I can chop up...I think I'll come up with a sketch and see what you guys think.
Big Mista has a door on his are you thinking of going with a slider?

I took closed drum and took both ends off
then I use two lids from open head drums to form the top and bottom

the ring binders seal them up tight and i can take the drum tube off as needed for cleaning , fuel issues and such

Attachments

• out of the can.jpg
    out of the can.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 2,168
  • morning basket side view.jpg
    morning basket side view.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 2,163
Nice job, HL&S! My next go, I may do the same. I built my first last weekend and can't get over how long a basket of lump lasts. I decided to let it burn itself out last night and it had other ideas about it. After burning for over 24 hrs at 230, it is still holding steady! One thing I haven't figured out, the bark on my meat isn't quite what it was on my offset. It doesn't get hard and crusty, but stays soft and moist. I have also noticed when I pull the lid to turn the meat that there is quite a bit of condensate on the bottom of the lid. Anybody else have similar things?

I went with 8 1/2 holes in the top and find the same issues

I placed them further in than many to try to even out the anticipated grill level temperature differences, so they are in a 12 inch centered circle pattern. but I'm considering making them bigger, perhaps up to 3/4 inch to get less exhaust restriction with I think may be the cause of the condensate

I don't mind it at all as it only means there is more moisture inside the drum and I think thats a good thing.

I thought about that, Dr_KY, but it is dripping on the meat and it appears to be a mixture of water, soot and maybe even some creosote. I tasted it and it has a sour/acrid/bitter flavor. ???

Back