JD, try this. Norco welded this one but you could use wire.
Not a problem.

Weiser
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=662611&postcount=86

Hi Guys - I am getting to the final stages of my UDS. I have the expended metal and charcoal grate and bolts to build the charcoal basket identical to Norco's example. The only deal is i thought i was getting a welder and a visit from someone who is a welder....that could help me weld it all up....long story short those 2 things are not coming together. Can someone steer me to a weldless version of this charcoal basket. I already bought the stuff, so i dont want to go with a different version of basket...hopefully there is a weldless version of this basket out there. I cant seem to find it though. Any thoughts?

Thanks all,
JD

Found me a drum today. Willneed to burn it out later this week or weekend. Have a drawn out plan and can't wait to get this thing going. Will be posting pics along the way. Thanks to all for your great ideas and trial and error.
First post on this site right here.

Welcome Fellow Drumhead!

Now, get your ass over to the Cattle Call and tell us the rest of the story!
Welcome Bro, good group of folks here.

Weiser

Found me a drum today. Willneed to burn it out later this week or weekend. Have a drawn out plan and can't wait to get this thing going. Will be posting pics along the way. Thanks to all for your great ideas and trial and error.

Hi all excellent site just a quick question.do you think this is stained from the veg oil or is it lined

Looks good from here...is there any rust in there? If so...there is no liner. Like Doc said...see if it'll scratch...if you hit bare metal real easy...there's no liner. :p

Just a little update.....

11 hrs and still kicking along at 200*

Approx half of a 12" x 12" x 12" basket of WallyWorlds best coal and 3 medium chunks of hickory

I've got a feeling I'm going to love this one and might even add to the stable :oops:

Hi all excellent site just a quick question.do you think this is stained from the veg oil or is it lined

YES....it's not the dreaded orange liner but it is one none the less!

ALL my barrels come with that in it, it comes out easy pesy with a wire cup on a grinder but don't season over it, it flakes off pretty easily.

Really???
Is it a plastic or a sprayed in thing?
I wheeled mine out yesterday, got lucky... nothing but surface rust.

Weiser

ALL my barrels come with that in it, it comes out easy pesy with a wire cup on a grinder but don't season over it, it flakes off pretty easily.

Start with three intakes @ 3/4" and go from there.

I burned it out. then seasoned it, but wasn't sure if it was a liner or not so i burned it out again do you think it will be ok. I painted the outside with heat paint and it burned completely off on the second burn

BoboQ, a photo may help get some more opinions.
Sounds like you got it hot enough the second time.
Did you see anything weird in there after the second burn?

Weiser

BoboQ, a photo may help get some more opinions.
Sounds like you got it hot enough the second time.
Did you see anything weird in there after the second burn?

Weiser

the scratches are where i lightly rubbed sand paper over it, bare metal.

Attachments

• 012809 174.jpg
    012809 174.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 1,287
That is a good looking Drum!
I'd use it in a heartbeat!
Fire it up, observe how it works temps etc., take notes.
Throw meat on it this weekend!

Weiser

the scratches are where i lightly rubbed sand paper over it, bare metal.

Another UDS is born.

Hello all, I would like to introduce you to my new UDS. Thanks for all the great tips, tricks, and instructions on building her!

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Back