First baby backs on the WSM. The good and the bad

Thespanishgrill

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Tossed a couple costco slabs on today to see how the wsm with a foiled water pan and 16 inch terra cotta saucer as the heat sink.
Ribs on top grate held steady at 250 in the past cooks was at 275 so it might have bought me 25 degrees which is fine.
The bottom of the ribs at the two hour mark were a little toasted and the top was drying so I do spritzed it a few times.
Pulled them around two hours with a decent bend in them foiled for 90 minutes.
Overall pretty awesome, but I still think there is room to improve on the top Texture and the bone side.
Any suggestions are welcome, I might try the water pan in my next cook I've just been putting it off since others don't use it and say it's messy.

Learning so much from you guys I just need more time to practice.

Illusive Brisket is next.

Attachments

• 20131024_174714.jpg
    20131024_174714.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 214
  • 20131024_174430.jpg
    20131024_174430.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 212
  • 20131024_174440.jpg
    20131024_174440.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 211
Seems like you did pretty well. Personally, I am a water in the smoker guy, as I believe that moist air in the smoker gives a better cook and texture. But, that being said.

If you are going to foil, add a little moisture, either juice or broth, to the foil. Just a few teaspoons, that will improve the bark when you remove them from the foil for the last 30 minutes or so on the cooker.

At 275°F, you should have gotten great texture to the top of the ribs, even without spritzing, is the top of the cooker full open, you are getting good flow through the cooker?

I was at 250 not 275. I might not have stated that correctly. When I could I put a small line of bbq sauce and spritzed water around the slab.
I'm with you on the moist air, I was actually thinking I should put a small water pan on the clay saucer lol what am I getting myself into here lol

The texture on top was fine but it was drying out and looking leathery, so had to spritz every 20 min or so

Mustard before the rub may help to keep the "skin" from developing...250* is a fine temp...you shouldn't have a problem there...check your therms to see they are correct...

Somethings fishy in Pittsburgh...We need more info..

I did use evoo on this one, I usually go mustard so good point there. I'm going to order a maverick but I'm waiting for the new 733 :)

You'll probably find your grate temp is higher than the dome...You can get a cheap oven therm from the grocery store to check it out while you wait for the 733...

Ribs look great...

I don't use anything but rub, never needed any 'glue' for my cooks. I don't think the oil should have resulted in tough rib texture. I don't spritz, I do use a concoction in the last 30 minutes of any rib cook, that I believe adds flavor to the meat. I have abandoned temperatures below 275°F for ribs, but, there is no reason not to cook there.

The top wasn't tough, but it was drying out. I'll compare the temps and go from there thanks for the info everyone

They look pretty good from here. +1 to checking your grate temps. The WSM dome can be off as much as 50 degrees from the lower grate without water. Also, try some spares. :p

Those ribs look good from here.
As said I'd get a cheap oven thermo and check to see what the grate temp really is.

Run water.

Also, i like to start my ribs meat towards the fire the first hour then flip bone down the second hour.

Forget about all of the spritzing. Every time you opened the WSM to spritz you lost heat and it took at least 5 minutes to recover.

Back