Almost lost a brisket... not my idea of low and slow.

BBQ Bandit

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Was cooking a brisket thru last night on my WSM .... and almost lost her. Packed the fire ring full... and I mean full. 1.5 bags of Kingsford blue (13.8 lb each). Fired it off and the was up to temp @ 9:00 PM last night and the brisket saw the fire at that time.

At 7:00 AM... the fire was reading at 180*.... and was looking at freezing rain outside.

Chit... grabbed another bag of Kingsford and my bucket of rock salt just for the occasion to sprinkle (not on the brisket) but to dust and season the porch steps. (Learned that mistake the hard way... cracked my ribs a few years ago from sliding and bouncing off those steps before. Was cooking a brisket back then, too! :twitch:) Gingerly added a generous amount to the steps before I do another instant replay.

Meat was @ 175. Whew!!!! There will be pron today!!!

Last edited:
Rain is killer. It sucks the heat right out of the cooker. We had some ice last night but temp is already 46° and the ice has melted.

I've always said, "BBQ isn't about cooking, it's about managing the small and HUGE issues you will run into during the cook"

well played!! :eusa_clap

I had a brisket on a few weeks ago and found the temp to be ~400°F after a few hours :doh: That was hard to recover from . . .

Glad you were able to save yours!

SO was that 175 on the way up or 175 on the way down? I haven't cooked any thing longer that 7 hrs in so long I can't remember when.

SO was that 175 on the way up or 175 on the way down? I haven't cooked any thing longer that 7 hrs in so long I can't remember when.

Would think on its way up... was still resistant like a dart board.
The only sign of tenderness was the point just starting to get soft.

Won't be long now... flat @ 195*. Point is already taunting me. :wink:

I've never had issues with rain sucking the life out of the cooker. Freezing rain could be another story....

Resting comfy and cozy...

20130127_202143.jpg

20130127_203342.jpg

20130128_122555.jpg

20130128_122757.jpg

20130128_122807.jpg

20130128_122817.jpg

[Same recipe from an earlier thread - http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150304]

If you are aiming for a lunch-time or early afternoon brisket, who wants to get up that early to cook it? LnS is great when you want to put a brisket on at night and get a full night's sleep!

Bob, I have a friend who grew up in Toronto, was gone for 30 years though, she went back one winter a few years ago, walked out of the flat she grew up in, slid on the ice and shattered her leg. She was stunned, that she had forgotten about the ice, too many years in Florida and California.

Always take care on ice.

Back