Need some shiskabob help

ClintHTX

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My wife is having friends over tomorrow and we want to grill something different so she decided on shishkabobs (hope that's correct sp). Plan on using chicken, steak and veggies. My question is.... Do you cook it all at once? Cook everything separate? What temp and how long?! Going to be cooking on the kettle. Thanks for the help!

I'd cook the chicken separately. Use cubed sirloin steak for the beef, and marinate it overnight. Cook the veggies with it. Don't forget to skewer some fresh pineapple with a little honey and brown sugar glaze!

As deguerre said, keep the chicken and steak seperate. Eye of round and chuck mock tender steaks are good non-expensive steak choices for kebabs, too. For a great chicken kebab, try onion/chicken/pineapple/marachino cherry/onion/ repeat. Sounds weird, but tastes awesome! Onion, mushrooms, and red bell pepper are good on the steak kebabs. Melt some butter, stir in some garlic powder, oregano, and thyme, and brush it over the kebabs right before you take them off. Squeeze a lime over the chicken ones.

As deguerre said, keep the chicken and steak seperate. Eye of round and chuck mock tender steaks are good non-expensive steak choices for kebabs, too. For a great chicken kebab, try onion/chicken/pineapple/marachino cherry/onion/ repeat. Sounds weird, but tastes awesome! Onion, mushrooms, and red bell pepper are good on the steak kebabs. Melt some butter, stir in some garlic powder, oregano, and thyme, and brush it over the kebabs right before you take them off. Squeeze a lime over the chicken ones.

Let me guess, you slice your chicken thin and accordian it onto the skewer?

Why cook the meats separate? We marinate each meat, cube it up and make the skewer. We put steak, chicken pineapple, bell pepper, onion, season em up real light and cook them on the UDS all the time. Even won some chefs choice entries with beef tenderloin shishkabobs.

Why cook the meats separate? We marinate each meat, cube it up and make the skewer. We put steak, chicken pineapple, bell pepper, onion, season em up real light and cook them on the UDS all the time. Even won some chefs choice entries with beef tenderloin shishkabobs.

I don't want to risk the possibility of cross contamination as I cook my beef to medium rare on the kabobs and the chicken usually takes longer.

I find it easier to cook everything seperate. I do put some onion in between the steak for flavor but everything doesn't cook evenly so I seperate.

I find it helps to parboil the veggies and they cook quicker and more even.

Like when doing yakitori I skewer them separately, even among vegis.

I skewer everything separately, something i learned from Alton brown. Everything cooks differently so it's best to cook them separately.

Back