Backwoods Smoker G2 models

Dry it'll rock 250 for probably 12 hrs easy. Wet is gonna use alot more fuel. Haven't cooked on the G2 yet, but my guess will be 8-9 hrs at 250. Fire that hooker up wet, slap a butt on and let us know Jason!!!!!!!

How did you know I like to fire my hookers up wet and slap a butt on them?? I mean my secret second life really isn't a mystery to most people, but I figured it would take you longer to find out :-D:thumb::clap:. When I do it though I'll make sure to post pictures :becky::laugh:.

Sorry to hijack, but something I've never understood about BWS users: Why would you ever want one with sand? Isn't the main point that the smoke and heat come through side channel and then out the top? If so, wouldn't it be best to have a layer of insulation between the coals and the food so that there is no direct heat? Insulation neither absorbes, conducts, nor radiates heat. Why would would you want to use sand which will end up absorbing heat from the coals, and then radiating it back out?

dmp

Sorry to hijack, but something I've never understood about BWS users: Why would you ever want one with sand? Isn't the main point that the smoke and heat come through side channel and then out the top? If so, wouldn't it be best to have a layer of insulation between the coals and the food so that there is no direct heat? Insulation neither absorbes, conducts, nor radiates heat. Why would would you want to use sand which will end up absorbing heat from the coals, and then radiating it back out?

dmp
The sand or water acts as a heat sink and keeps the temps in the 200's.

^^^What he said. I found that cooking without water helps when smoking a turkey, but it was a little harder keeping temps steady with the pan empty. I would think sand would improve the temp stability. For all of my other meats, I always cook using water.

No offense, but the above sentence makes no sense. Heat sinks are used to absorb energy and then dissipate it outside of a system. Based on the second law of thermodynamics, heat from the cooking chamber WILL NOT dissipate into the fire chamber, so if the sand truly is a heat sink, it is transferring heat into the cooking chamber. If preventing too much heat from transferring is the goal, why not use an insulator? Silicone is an electric insulator, and it exhibits low thermal conductivity, but "sand" is not a very good insulator relative to other things out there. If you're trying to introduce moisture or liquid flavours, I can understand the water pan, but if you're trying to keep the heat even, why not use a hotel pan filled with the same insulation that's in the sides? Doesn't the Onyx oven have something like that?

dmp

I think I understand. I am not an engineer so I was probably using the wrong terminology. I am trying to say that using the water or sand helps reduce temperature swings, not actually regulate the temperature. Is their a better way to state this, or am I just out in left field?

Here is the bottom line with the BWS, if you don't put something in the water pan, be it lava rocks, water, sand, etc you can not keep the temps below 300º consistently. YMMV

If you want something to absorb heat to a certain point, and then release it when the space around it reduces in temp (Again, 2LoT), what you're describing is a thermal capacitor. From an intellectual standpoint, I ask if that's really a good idea though, and perhaps this isn't the best place to have that conversation.

Still, my thoughts in brief are that in a system with energy both entering and exiting at a constant rate (in from the vents, out through the exhaust), and no external factors, the best way to maintain constant temperature would be (I would think) to isolate that system through insulation so that external forces cannot interfere. I see no bennefit to be gained from a thermal capacitor. Only detriment from having to produce enough heat for it to store. Keep in mind that true insulators do not absorb energy, but rather deflect it.

Thinking about a cooker, when you open and close the door, you let a large amount of heat out, and the thermal capacitor is able to release the heat it has into the space with less temperature (2Lot), requiring less time or fire from the coals to return to temp. Still, with reactionary systems controlling modern cookers (read Stokers and Gurus), they will adjust the amount of heat produced to accomodate the loss of heat from opening the door, and then reduce it later.

So, if you're going to be opening the door to your cooker frequently, I can see how sand may help you stabilize temps, but at a cost of increased fuel consumption to add energy to the heat capacitor. If you have a ADC device on your cooker, I would think you would be better off using insulation than sand, but that's just my geeky opinion as some one who doesn't own one. The other qustion to ask is whether or not sand is the best substance to use as a thermal capacitor. As I said, it has some resistance to thermal conduction, and if your goal is thermal capacitance, I would think you would want something that accepts and receives heat freely, like aluminum. If the goal is to be a thermal barrior (Insulator), I would just think something else would be better.

Just thoughts, sorry for the distraction...

dmp

If you want something to absorb heat to a certain point, and then release it when the space around it reduces in temp (Again, 2LoT), what you're describing is a thermal capacitor. From an intellectual standpoint, I ask if that's really a good idea though, and perhaps this isn't the best place to have that conversation.

Still, my thoughts in brief are that in a system with energy both entering and exiting at a constant rate (in from the vents, out through the exhaust), and no external factors, the best way to maintain constant temperature would be (I would think) to isolate that system through insulation so that external forces cannot interfere. I see no bennefit to be gained from a thermal capacitor. Only detriment from having to produce enough heat for it to store. Keep in mind that true insulators do not absorb energy, but rather deflect it.

Thinking about a cooker, when you open and close the door, you let a large amount of heat out, and the thermal capacitor is able to release the heat it has into the space with less temperature (2Lot), requiring less time or fire from the coals to return to temp. Still, with reactionary systems controlling modern cookers (read Stokers and Gurus), they will adjust the amount of heat produced to accomodate the loss of heat from opening the door, and then reduce it later.

So, if you're going to be opening the door to your cooker frequently, I can see how sand may help you stabilize temps, but at a cost of increased fuel consumption to add energy to the heat capacitor. If you have a ADC device on your cooker, I would think you would be better off using insulation than sand, but that's just my geeky opinion as some one who doesn't own one. The other qustion to ask is whether or not sand is the best substance to use as a thermal capacitor. As I said, it has some resistance to thermal conduction, and if your goal is thermal capacitance, I would think you would want something that accepts and receives heat freely, like aluminum. If the goal is to be a thermal barrior (Insulator), I would just think something else would be better.

dmp

Oh I get it. Your being ironic.:clap:

Take your thermodynamics and laws and keep them off my smoker!

sponsored by the Backwoods Libertarian Party

IMHO Backwoods smokers and heat control is effected by what happens below your waterpan more than what is in it.

Here is the bottom line with the BWS, if you don't put something in the water pan, be it lava rocks, water, sand, etc you can not keep the temps below 300º consistently. YMMV

My mileage varies, considerably. So that line is far from the bottom. No issues controlling my BW up or down and I always cook dry.

How much meat do you have in there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit: PLease share your technique, I am not into pissing matches :thumb:

Last edited:
DANG...that PARTY is nice. Mine was delivered a year ago this week. SHOULDA waited?!!

A man is always lookin' for an UPGRADE...don't tell my wife!:shock:

Thinking about a cooker, when you open and close the door, you let a large amount of heat out, and the thermal capacitor is able to release the heat it has into the space with less temperature (2Lot), requiring less time or fire ... be better off using insulation than sand, but that's just my geeky opinion as some one who doesn't own one. The other qustion to ask is whether or not sand is the best substance to use as a thermal capacitor. As I said, it has some resistance to thermal conduction, and if your goal is thermal capacitance, I would think you would want something that accepts and receives heat freely, like aluminum. If the goal is to be a thermal barrior (Insulator), I would just think something else would be better.

dmp

I DUNNO...I put WATER in the pan..and a BEER on the roof. I'm a simpleton. :icon_blush:
snowbottle.jpg

DANG...that PARTY is nice. Mine was delivered a year ago this week. SHOULDA waited?!!

A man is always lookin' for an UPGRADE...don't tell my wife!:shock:

I think you know someone who can keep it a secret:D

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

Back