Apple wood smoke

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what causes some pieces of apple wood to smell really really appley and amazing and other pieces to smell more like a campfire smoke even though they are from the same tree?

Thanx

I'm going to go out on a limb here :biggrin: I'll go with the moisture in the wood. But I'm only guessing.

I'm going to go out on a limb here :biggrin: I'll go with the moisture in the wood. But I'm only guessing.
So moisture is making it more campfire style than fruity? I know that the wood has been in a locker that is dry, but the locker is outside so humidity is a big factor, specialy during our rainy season..

thanx

I've got some cherry wood that has lichens all over it, but havent used yet. Notice any on your wood?

I've got some cherry wood that has lichens all over it, but havent used yet. Notice any on your wood?
no the wood has no fungus of any sort. One piece did have a section where it looked like a tunnel was created then filled with sawdust.. Im assuming it was from termites. So i threw that piece out.

applewood.jpg

the stuff on the left is the one that smells amazing and the smaller one on the right is the one that smelled ok but no where near like the other piece. The piece on the left is also a darker red than the small one.

does the difference in color have something to do with either the flavor of smoke or where the anatomy of where it came from, IE, the trunk, a branch etc?

Does the paler piece of wood have a lighter density (which might indicate the start of dry-rot)? That could definitely affect scent/flavor.

Looks to me like you have two different parts of the tree, that means the one on the left looks like heart wood and the one on the left has sap wood in it. Totally different structures in them. There are differences in the chemical makeup of the wood that would affect flavor, such as sap, lignin and and cellulose.

If you look at is from a construction point of view, heartwood is denser and heavier, it has more materials but less sap. The outer layer is sapwood, it has more sap, but, less of the material that makes up wood. There is probably an effect in the smoking of the wood that would affect the nature and amount of total suspended solids in the smoke.

Looks to me like you have two different parts of the tree, that means the one on the left looks like heart wood and the one on the left has sap wood in it. Totally different structures in them. There are differences in the chemical makeup of the wood that would affect flavor, such as sap, lignin and and cellulose.

If you look at is from a construction point of view, heartwood is denser and heavier, it has more materials but less sap. The outer layer is sapwood, it has more sap, but, less of the material that makes up wood. There is probably an effect in the smoking of the wood that would affect the nature and amount of total suspended solids in the smoke.

Ah yes, lingin, the material that makes up most of the wood cells and structure. Mesquite has a bunch of it. So heartwood is more of what would be more flavorful due to more material and less sap. SO these susspended soild in the smoke are what and does heartwood have more or less?

thanx

Matt

Just out of curiosity, what causes some pieces of apple wood to smell really really appley and amazing and other pieces to smell more like a campfire smoke even though they are from the same tree?

Thanx

I have no idea, but maybe I can figure it out in a few months!

Attachments

• 2010-04-27 18.01.26.jpg
    2010-04-27 18.01.26.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 30
Back