• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

1st Annual Atlanta Kosher BBQ Comp - Pics and report

Uncle Buds BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So a few weeks back my friend and master judge, Rick, asks me if I would judge a Kosher contest on Sunday, 10/14. I said sure without even thinking about how a Kosher event might be different than what I normally judge. All I knew about Kosher was that many Jews who follow the rules can't eat pork. Well there is a lot more to it than that.

At the strictest level Kosher means that some things like dairy products can't be mixed with meat products. Also the meat, utensils, and grills are under the supervision of the Rabbi.
So for this comp everything is supplied by the organizer. Each team got 2 Weber kettles, all the meat, spices, seasoning, utensils, charcoal...everything they needed to cook.

Since there are not a lot of opportunities to compete in a Kosher event of the 17 teams, 2 were from Birmingham, AL and 2 came from New York!

Although this was not a sanctioned event all of the judges were KCBS certified and more than half were master judges. The categories were beans, beef ribs, and brisket.

I have judged beans before so that was a no brainer but the beef ribs were HUGE. The turn in boxes would not close as the 6 ribs were piled high in the 9x9!!!

We scored them fairly and didn't cut them any slack. Also provided many comments cards to help them out on their turn ins.

On a side note you may recognize the contest rep. He is someone we haven't seen in awhile and it was good to be in the judges room with him. The first time he had to quiet us down with his booming voice.."Now judges...help me out here"...or "Judges..shut your pie hole"...was met with a round of applause from us. Ronnie we miss you!

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

21.JPG

22.JPG

23.JPG

Since we were judging inside the Temple the men were asked to wear a Yarmulke or other head covering.
24.JPG

25.JPG

26.JPG

27.JPG

28.JPG

29.JPG

30.JPG

31.JPG

32.JPG

After judging we went out and talked to the teams and then some judges got roped into a pickle eating contest. You had to be the first one to finish 3 of these giants!!!
33.JPG

34.JPG

35.JPG

36.JPG

37.JPG

38.JPG

It was a fun contest and I hope they can get it sanctioned next year.

2 came from New York!
Just 2 ??? Hail, I thought all of'em came from New York! <ducking and running>

Where was this held? Not that I could have gone, as I was hammering away behind the computer in the basement working again, but I would like to get in on the judging next time/year.

I recognize 'Dr' Mark Katz in one of those pics, along with a sampling of the usual KCBS judges from the area.

Where was this held? Not that I could have gone, as I was hammering away behind the computer in the basement working again, but I would like to get in on the judging next time/year.

Here is the contest website.
http://www.atlantakosherbbq.com/

It was a great day and I love the fact that each team competed with the same grill, meat, etc. Real level playing field!

Gd. Bless America and our breathren! Only in America can this event happen. On a note, I was told by a kosher butcher that pious Jewish people don't have a taste for heavily seasoned meats. This butcher I talk about, is gradually trying to introduce non Jewish flavors beyond salt and pepper. He's got a stick burner and marinader in the back. Incidentally, he's South African.

Cool report. I almost signed up, but would have been a long weekend. I thought the idea of giving everyone the same cookers and meat was a great idea. Great to see a different type of competition.

Great idea.

One of my buddies at our local cigar lounge keeps kosher. One day he asked me to stop by his house and teach him how to do brisket and chicken. We had a blast. I'm going to have to pass this contest on to him!

The event was off the hook. Just got back from Atlanta with my team from Long Island...'The Five Cooks Of Moses'. Won first place for 'most original name' but didn't place in any of the food categories (ouch!).
Super event and everyone had a ball..shouts of 'Roll Tide' bouncing around in the middle of the night made me remember we were not in 516 land.

This event had exactly what you want to have when you start unloading your gear. Great organization, fantastic assistance available and judging that you knew would be accurate and fair. Once grills were smoking nobody knew it was 'kosher'.... it was BBQ baby...
For those that would like to try their hand, closer to NY, then consider coming to the Long Island Kosher BBQ Championship, June 9th 2013 in Westbury. It is the second year and besides brisket, beef ribs and beans, there will be a chicken category. AND...it is sanctioned by the Brethren. A little early I know, but just know that it will be on the calendar.
Way to go 'Lanta!!

Back