• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Brethren "Treats for Santa" Throwdown!

I figured with all this food Santa would need a little salad.

The Wedge Salad with homemade Bleu Cheese Dressing...

Salad.jpg

Did someone post Santa would be needing some fiber? (check) And a little hootch? (check) And on a stick? (check) Presenting...(drum roll, please)....Whiskey Basted Fruit Kabobs

Attachments

• SANY0014.jpg
    SANY0014.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited by a moderator:
I had some left over burnt ends from a brisket cook I was saving.

Left Over Burnt Ends??? What is that?

I figured with all this food Santa would need a little salad.

The Wedge Salad with homemade Bleu Cheese Dressing...

Looks good Larry...

Did someone post Santa would be needing some fiber? (check) And a little hootch? (check) And on a stick? (check) Presenting...(drum roll, please)....Whiskey Basted Fruit Kabobs

attachment.php
TW - not seeing the pic...

More strong entries! Even the salad looks good :shock: :-D

What is the grilled or smoked component on the salad, Larry?

More strong entries! Even the salad looks good :shock: :-D

What is the grilled or smoked component on the salad, Larry?

The bacon is apple smoked...

But grilled or smoked is not a Throwdown requirement....

The bacon is apple smoked...

But grilled or smoked is not a Throwdown requirement....
Sorry to be the bearer of bas news Larry, but Rule #2 in the BBQ Brethren Throwdown Rules specifically states:

2. The item must be Grilled or Smoked during the cooking process, or feature Grilled or Smoked ingredients in a prominent manner.

The link to the rules suggesting they be read before entering was posted in the OP.

Ok, I'm having trouble posting my pix. HELP!!

@Gore - the wedding date hasn't arrived yet, so I guess we will have to wait to join the husband-wife team comp.

Sorry to be the bearer of bas news Larry, but Rule #2 in the BBQ Brethren Throwdown Rules specifically states:

2. The item must be Grilled or Smoked during the cooking process, or feature Grilled or Smoked ingredients in a prominent manner.

The link to the rules suggesting they be read before entering was posted in the OP.

Fine, I'm disqualified. I'm okay with that...

I won't even argue selective enforcement or invoke the normal "let the voters decide" argument.

Fine, I'm disqualified. I'm okay with that...

I won't even argue selective enforcement or invoke the normal "let the voters decide" argument.
I never meant to imply you were DQ'ed Larry. I haven't said that. I was simply pointing out the rule. You said the bacon was smoked...so if you want to go with that I am good with letting the voters decide. I'm a nice guy!:becky: I think.:shock: Then again...i have been told I am kind of crabby.:redface:

I never meant to imply you were DQ'ed Larry. I haven't said that. I was simply pointing out the rule. You said the bacon was smoked...so if you want to go with that I am good with letting the voters decide. I'm a nice guy!:becky: I think.:shock: Then again...i have been told I am kind of crabby.:redface:

I'm disqualifying myself...

Rule 2 is sort of like the 10th amendment, i.e., generally ignored. Everyone has a completely different idea of what grilled or smoked means and it also is fun to whine and tweak Chris about it on occasion. I believe it was Rick who said originally that Rule 2 means that it must be cooked outside, so if something is boiled or fried outside it is ok. At the same time, if something is cooked inside in the fireplace, as I think BobBrisket did once, you could catch some grief. This interpretation is not universal and I haven't subscribed to it. The "inside interpretation" also has not been enforced: I did a cook with a candle of all things inside and it was not DQ'ed:

IMG_6609.jpg

while in another throwdown I used an OPTIGRILL pit and that was DQ'ed. I mean, go figure, it even says OPTIGRILL, so by all definitions this should be legitimate. :crazy:

IMG_6275.jpg

I've always argued for "let the voters decide" mainly because this is supposed to be fun and once people start getting DQ'ed, I think it takes some of the fun out of it (although I must admit, I really enjoyed finally getting DQ'ed). I myself try to vote with Rule 2 in mind. At least there must be something grilled/smoked. But as I see it, Larry, most people here would think that apple-smoked bacon is the only edible part of your entry, so there is no question that it adheres to Rule 2. :thumb:

Let us not make a big deal out of my self-disqualification...

Gore, I still think the Optigrill would have been allowed had you cooked the Optigrill over a flame or some coals. I can't speak for the guy who runs this thing though.:becky:

Back