sorry, im ignorant to comps...but

HickoryJ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
is the meat provided? or do u bring your own? i guess im talking kcbs. i took a glance at the rules and seen there is a meat inspector...but that could work for both. once again, sorry im a noob to comps.

so the inspector comes around to each site and check the meat? what are they looking for exactly?

Making sure that you didn't bring anything that has been marinated or had anything done to it that could be considered cheaqting. It is an attempt to help level the playing field.

You can prep your meat before arriving by trimming it, scraping the chicken skin, stuff like that. You can't put any seasoning, brine or injection in or on the meat until after it's inspected, basically....

You can not remove the meat from the original packaging until it has been inspected. No trimming, seasoning, brining, etc.

thats what i thought. im gonna try to get in some comps next yr. but to be honest...i dont have much experience with chicken or ribs. those 2 categories ill be weak in for sure. it is pork, brisket, ribs and chicken right?

I highly suggest that you hook up with a team and wash dishes, help out, etc before you spend your money competing "cold turkey" :grin:

There is a sticky thread at the top of this forum for folks looking to mentor with a team.
Here is a link to it:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Good Luck with whatever approach you take.

TIM

If you want to up your game on any meat, this is the right place to learn. I've only been here for a short while but have learned tons. Lots of great people here.

If you want to up your game on any meat, this is the right place to learn. I've only been here for a short while but have learned tons. Lots of great people here.
i know. people are helpful on here. i try to use the search engine as much as possible cause i know getting asked the same questions over and over is annoying. lots of good info getting spread on here. competition is definitely something i need help with. i know it will be humbling lol

In KCBS comps the original packaging is not required. The meat may be removed from the package and trimmed as long as it's not brined, seasoned, rubbed, marinated, etc. Basically you cannot add any type of flavoring agent prior to inspection.

The meat inspection also is to make sure all meats are at 40 degrees or less.

IMO, that is more important than checking for prior rubs, injections, etc...

wallace

The meat inspection also is to make sure all meats are at 40 degrees or less.

IMO, that is more important than checking for prior rubs, injections, etc...

wallace

I agree, but in all of the competitions we have done (14-16 per year for 4 years) I have only had one inspector do any sort of temperature check, and that was to check the surface temp of the meat with an infrared thermometer.

Technically they are also supposed to make sure that the pork butts are at least 5 lbs.

They are also supposed to check that you have gloves, meat thermometer, fire extinguisher, etc. but that mainly seems to happen in the northeast.

Pick a contest convenient to you and get on here and ask for a teams help in showing you the ropes. Be prepared to trade work for knowledge. Offer to show up on their arrival and leave after awards.
I'm betting you'll get more than one offer. This is some kinda group here.
Ed

Back