• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My first Butt/Picnic

jeffsee

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey all.

I'm doing my first ever butt/picnic/overnight smoke for Christmas Eve dinner (one of the entrees).

Here are photos of the shoulder with picnic:

f49f34ba.jpg

ec6a3ffc.jpg

43a316a2.jpg

b067f44c.jpg

It does have an "8% solution."

Some questions:
  1. I planned on using KosmoQ Pork Injection tomorrow night. With that 8% solution, should I still do that?
  2. If we plan on eating at 6:00 Christmas Eve, when should I get the meat on Thursday? The roast weighs 12.33 pounds.
  3. How often should I plan to wake up during the overnight cook to check temps? I do not have a maverick yet, so I'm relying on a turkey therm to middle of grate, the thermo on the side of the drum, and a turkey therm in the meat.

Thanks for your expertise folks. My parents are trusting me with a lot.

I've never dealt with a picnic with a solution & I haven't injected so I can't shed any light there, but I will say that you should allow approx. 1.5 hours/lb. Now this isn't gospel truth, it's just a rough time frame to start with. In my experience, picnics take a little longer than butts, so you may want to add even a little more time. You'd be much better off getting done early and holding rather than waiting for your grub to get done.

There's a good chance your roast will stall at 160 degrees and hang out there for a few hours and then start climbing again. Some folks foil at 160. I'm not a foiler, but not for any reason other than I've just never done it that way. I'm confident many people who foil their butts still lead relatively normal & productive lives just the same as those who don't. Now whether smoking large hunks of meat is part of a "normal" and "productive" life is another story altogether...I myself have never been accused of being normal or productive, but I digress...

I pull the meat off around 190, but what you really, really need to do is pay attention to the texture - does the probe or an icepick or skewer slide in "like butta"? then it's ready to pull.

If you get done early, wrap that thing in a couple layers of heavy duty foil, wrap in a towel, then stick in a cooler. It can hang out there for up to 4 hours. It should sit al least an hour before you pull it apart. Since it's your first shot, don't plan on sleeping a lot on Thursday nite & don't open the smoker more than you absolutely have to or else you'll lose heat. Good luck!

I've never injected a shoulder. Since ur going to shread it anyhow, you can add any seasoning then. A big pork roast like that is probably the most forgiving piece of meat you'll ever cook. It's hard to mess it up.

I don't inject, so no help there. My butts usually 8-9 lbs have been taking 16-17 hrs @ 250. I would say about 20 hrs based on mine. I'd get them on about 5 or 6 thurs night. You could always start later and up the temp to 300. Like gtr said wrap and cooler them when there done. Better to be done early. Checking temps, that depends on how your drum runs normaly, at holding temps. Just keep it above 225* and your good.

I usually cook my butts at 275, reduces the time considerably, and I have never noticed any difference in taste or texture. If you get in a time crunch, you can add some moisture and foil while still on the smoker. Wrapping, toweling, and cooler-ing is a big benefit.

I have injected, but never used that particular injection. Even though it is enhanced, you'll be fine. No need to brine it, though.

My first time too Jeffsee. I've got two, 7lb - 8lb butts going on my WSM 22 at 8:00am Friday and I'm going to shoot for the 250 range and a 12 hour cook time. I'm injecting one and just rubbing the other the night before.

Can't see your pics for some reason. Best of luck.

Pics are fixed!!!!

SOmething happened to the links, but they are now fixed.

Cut off the skin, fat cap, and large external globules of fat. Injected last night:
c32bfaa7.jpg

When I put this on the smoker, HOW should I arrange it?

The meat is on...

The butt is on the uds between 250 and 275. I'm nervous but excited. The first 20-hour smoke carries a lot of responsibility. whew!

You'll do fine, butts are very forgiving. Just remember, when you probe it and it goes in like butter it's done.

Back