White smoke!!!

Sometimes one needs to close the FB door or play with the inlet to lower temp, but try never to close the exhaust at all. Restricting the exhaust almost always hampers combustion and risks bad smoke, soot, etc. on the meat.

Bigger coal bed and smaller splits will help, instead of aiming for a pre determined temp run your pit to get good clean burn and see what temp it wants to run at. Dont try to force it. Just go with whatever temp your pit is happy at. You will be disappointed if you keep trying to make it run like a charcoal cooker IMHO

Larry

Bigger coal bed and smaller splits will help, instead of aiming for a pre determined temp run your pit to get good clean burn and see what temp it wants to run at. Dont try to force it. Just go with whatever temp your pit is happy at. You will be disappointed if you keep trying to make it run like a charcoal cooker IMHO

Larry

100% the correct answer.

While somewhat on topic, I like to piss off a certain neighbor in my heavily regulated HOA with billowing white smoke from my Bandera trailer. Most times I am not even smoking anything... just putting in logs of cherry for that nice sweet smell.

So glad I am moving soon.

While somewhat on topic, I like to piss off a certain neighbor in my heavily regulated HOA with billowing white smoke from my Bandera trailer. Most times I am not even smoking anything... just putting in logs of cherry for that nice sweet smell.

So glad I am moving soon.

HOA's are a tool of the devil. I'll never live in another home with an HOA. grrrrrrrr

Having not read a single comment, I'll add this...

First thing that hit me as I was reading is that you were at 325 and added another stick...even though you wanted to run 275-300. Why did you add more fuel?

Having not read a single comment, I'll add this...

First thing that hit me as I was reading is that you were at 325 and added another stick...even though you wanted to run 275-300. Why did you add more fuel?

It should have had more verbiage. once the temp dropped I added another stick.
I have since figured out I needed a larger coal bed.

I used to have a crappy Old Country offset and would have to preborn the splits...it will actually start smoking on top and had less issues. I ended up selling it because I was tired of adding a split every 45 minutes. I'm sure if I had a better insulated one would have been a better experience.
But yes I had the white smoke issue you were talking about, especially with Oak.

I used to have a crappy Old Country offset and would have to preborn the splits...it will actually start smoking on top and had less issues. I ended up selling it because I was tired of adding a split every 45 minutes. I'm sure if I had a better insulated one would have been a better experience.
But yes I had the white smoke issue you were talking about, especially with Oak.

I have a Shirley with an insulated firebox. Still add a stick every 45 minutes. That's just how stick burners work. No white smoke though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Have you cooked anything yet? Throw a butt on and let it rip. Butt doesn't care if your smoke isn't 100% thin blue, or a rock steady temp.

Nope, nothing yet and there won’t be for a while. I just sent it to be blasted and painted this morning so it will be a few weeks before I get it back.

Back