I used the same stainless stuff in the UDS and had to make larger holes.

Great thread, lots to daydream about.

Nice looking build Phubar. I really dig the color too.

damn that looks clean i like that, you think the holes are big enough for ash to fall through and not snuff out?

I'll see at the seasoning burn,if it snuffs out I'll follow DR. KY's advice and drill some larger holes in it.
Cool looking drums in the link that you posted!

OK anyone want to dare me to make an horizontal woodburning drum smoker?:twisted:

OK anyone want to dare me to make an horizontal woodburning drum smoker?:twisted:
That's pretty much what I've had in mind since returning from Lockhart a few weeks ago:
• Needs to burn wood
• Needs to use indirect heat
• Needs a bit more room/easier access for more meat than the UUDS™
• Needs to use up the three barrels I have behind the garage

Just been gathering ideas. Seen a couple good ones here so far...

Lighting a horizontal drum

How do you guys start your horizontal drum for grilling?
Do you throw only hot coals out of the chimney starter in it or do you lay a bed of hot coals on the grid and then cold coals over it?
And to get this thing nice n hot do you have the chimney open,half open or almost closed?

Whats a Redneck know about barrels?? Doubt you could do it!!

LOL- is that what you're looking for?

I might have to try one- I've got the drums, a bunch of angle iron, some expanded and a welder. I just enjoy my UDS so much I dont think I could be any happier.

1st post. Awesome builds.
I was thinking about upgrading to something more expensive, now, i think i can build what i need for a heck of a lot cheaper...a little intimidating though, who would I blame when it doesnt work correctly?

Ideas

I've got some mini barrels that I wanna convert into horizontal drum smokers but they have an open top.
What should/can I do,weld the lid to the drum or are there other ideas/concepts how I can solve this?

I've got some mini barrels that I wanna convert into horizontal drum smokers but they have an open top.
What should/can I do,weld the lid to the drum or are there other ideas/concepts how I can solve this?
Just re-read this... I would weld the lid on top. Then cut it horizontally. If you're not much of a welder this will be good practice.

there are some great ideas in this thread...looking forward to the end result!

Just picked up some important parts I had shipped to Az. Damn AQMD.

Back