Use the bottom of a weber kettle as the lid. Then put two hinges on the rear. Buy some really cheap stove rope and glue it to the upper inside edge of the barrel circumferentially. When you close the nice heavy lid, you will not get one bit of escaping smoke. I did it and it works great.

Only thing with the stove rope is the fiberglass, and also the glue that is used.

You can get a BGE replacement felt gasket for like 10 bucks from eBay.

Keep it simple!

IMG_3565.jpg

Big Drum Smoker Clones RAWK!!

Working on building my second UDS and I have a chance to get a drum for $10. The drum had "soy ink" in it. I guess I've never heard of soy ink before. Anyone have any input, will the drum be ok to use after a burnout and a sandblast job.

Jay sounds like you have a good drum. So ink is used for printing and mage from soybeans. Evo friendly

UDS Exhaust Question - Side Exhaust?

I searched this thread and didn't find this mentioned...

On horizontal offsets the exhaust is "normally" at grate height; my understanding is that "holds" heat and smoke in the top of the chamber (at least that's the logic often given for SNP mods). Has anyone else considered having the UDS exhaust at grate height instead of in the lid? Thanks <BillyG>

I searched this thread and didn't find this mentioned...

On horizontal offsets the exhaust is "normally" at grate height; my understanding is that "holds" heat and smoke in the top of the chamber (at least that's the logic often given for SNP mods). Has anyone else considered having the UDS exhaust at grate height instead of in the lid? Thanks <BillyG>
Yes and several have found that in doing so there is a lot of stale smoke. Believe me there is plentu of smoke to be had inside the UDS without making it hang around longer. It's a very efficient machine so no need to work towards holding heat.

Yes and several have found that in doing so there is a lot of stale smoke. Believe me there is plentu of smoke to be had inside the UDS without making it hang around longer. It's a very efficient machine so no need to work towards holding heat.

Thanks for that. I figured someone had some experience with the idea and I hated to mess up a drum re-learning the lesson.

I scored 3 barrels (unlined) labeled "Epoxidized Soybean Oil" for free. Downside: None that I can think of... Upside: I have this thread to help with design and construction! This stuff smells like cooking oil. MSDS says its basically harmless.
Does it need to be burnt out? Will a good powerwash do the trick?

what does a barrel need to have in it were you wont use it to make a UDS?

My BBQ Comp partner and I built 2 UDS this weekend, to help outfit our start-up stage team.

THANKS to the guys who help with some of my 'dumb' questions. Pretty much went with the basics, and pieces from pickled pig's blog.

Everyone who has seen them has been amazed at how much they look like bought from a store.

I'm at 250 steady now for over 5hrs..... It's cranked along just as steady as my Egg beside it. Really happy! Thanks again!

IMG_3162.jpg

IMG_3178.jpg

IMG_3179.jpg

drum1.jpg

Love the look. Went to find it and the only kind I found was Rustoleum with a heat rating of only 200 degrees. Have you tried a burn cook yet and do you think it will hold up to 200-300 degrees?

I've done my last 3 drums and 2 for friends with it and have cooked up to 325 repeatedly without issue. For your first few cooks you will smell paint(which has no bearing on your food).

Back