Turkey smokin poll: Whole, spatchcock, uds, weber kettle

Turkey Smokin: Which method would you prefer?

• Total voters

Pappy

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Granite City, Illinois (Near St. Louis "GO CARDS")
If you had one way you would prefer to smoke a 10 pound turkey, which of the 4 ways would you pick! Thanks for you opinion.

1. Whole Turkey on the UDS
2. Whole Turkey on the Weber Kettle

3. Spatchcock Turkey on the UDS
4. Spatchcock Turkey on the Weber Kettle

It's OK to explain why you made the pick that you did.

I voted for 3. Spatchcock Turkey on the UDS

Just don't try to stuff it! :heh:

Since I haven't done it yet, I'm gonna vote for the way I plan to do it :) My first turkey will be whole on the UDS so I can have enough room to put the rest of the stuff I plan to cook on with it...

Can't answer because the poll is biased against me. :-D

Whole bird, BGE.

It's OK. This is just pretend. :becky:
Look at the BGE, close one eye and squint :roll: and if it looks like a UDS, yo can vote that way. If it looks like a kettle, then vote that one. :thumb:
(you're actually helping make up my mind.)

You don't have an option for deboned? I'm deboning our Thanksgiving turkey and cooking it in the UDS.

You don't have an option for deboned? I'm deboning our Thanksgiving turkey and cooking it in the UDS.

I would think deboning it would take away from the flavor , and certainly allow more of the juices to escape during cooking.

I voted whole turkey on UDS , while you can fit a turkey on a kettle , trying to keep it to one side and the fire to the other things get really tight. I spatchcock my chickens , but for a turkey when you take into consideration the extended cook time and semidirect heat of the UDS it makes more sense to leave it whole. Leaving it whole the back and thighs get the direct heat from the bottom , while the breasts up top get the most gentle of the heat. This seems perfect to me because the breast is the only part that you really need to worry about over cooking. Just my .02

Spatchcock turkey on the UDS! I now have a lid that I could fit a whole turkey on the UDS but slatchcocking the bird wakes even cooking easy.

I would think deboning it would take away from the flavor , and certainly allow more of the juices to escape during cooking.

Surprisingly, it does neither. I haven't done a boneless in the UDS yet, but they come out great in the ECB. You just have to make sure you stitch it up properly, rather than truss wrap it like a chicken.

I voted whole turkey on UDS , while you can fit a turkey on a kettle , trying to keep it to one side and the fire to the other things get really tight.

There is no need to do that. Just divide the charcoal into to piles, one on each side, and stick a pan in between to keep them from collapsing, or use the weber charcoal rails that are designed for that purpose. Then put the turkey in the middle. I've did turkeys that way for 20+ years before I got my first Egg. Position the grate so that the openings by the handles are over the charcoal piles so you can add more fuel if needed, or if you have a Gold or the Gold hinged grates position the grate to that the hinged portions are over the coal piles. That's why the hinges are there.

I like to spatchcock a turkey, but separate the leg/thigh section so I can cook them to different temps. 150-155 for the breast/wing and 170-175 for the leg/thigh.

Back