THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cirk

is One Chatty Farker
Anyone made this dish by grilling or smoking the meat first?? Got a rainy weekend coming up and hoping to make some tacos!

I have not made Carne Guisada, but I do make my own version of carnitas on the smoker. It is not exactly the same, and is certainly not authentic, but it is very good.

I certainly think it is worth trying.

CD

I have not made Carne Guisada, but I do make my own version of carnitas on the smoker. It is not exactly the same, and is certainly not authentic, but it is very good.

I certainly think it is worth trying.

CD

I make carnitas a lot and it's one of my favorites...

I have made guisada a few times, but always on the stovetop. I think smoking the meat first might give it a great new flavor dimension. Just don't give it too much smoke flavor, the guisada gravy is delisious and you wouldn't want to overpower it.
I think I will try this myself soon, it sounds good. I think I would reverse sear it by smoking it to a rare condition, cube it, and then sear it in the skillet.

I like to use brisket that I've trimmed well. I'll smoke it 45-60 minutes to pick up some flavor before cutting it up to add to a pot or dutch oven if I'm cooking it on a pit. I don't cook the meat too much because I want the flavors to blend while the meat is becoming tender. I trim the fat pretty aggressively to avoid too much rendered fat floating in the pot.

It's one of my favorite meals.

I have made guisada a few times, but always on the stovetop. I think smoking the meat first might give it a great new flavor dimension. Just don't give it too much smoke flavor, the guisada gravy is delisious and you wouldn't want to overpower it.
I think I will try this myself soon, it sounds good. I think I would reverse sear it by smoking it to a rare condition, cube it, and then sear it in the skillet.

I smoked then seared and left rare used blade steak

Last edited:
Back