What Does"In Contention" Mean to You??

big matt

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I just want to get the opinion of my fellow competitors here..to be in contention to me means multiple walks(3-4)or a few high calls(a couple of 1st's or 2nd's)and knowing before the top ten is called that you have a shot at winning or being top 5..what does it mean to you?

In contention to me means the calls you get versus the number of teams in a contest, versus how many good calls your fellow competitors have.

In a 50 team contest, if I got 3 calls, and there were just 2 or 3 other people get two calls, then I feel I have a decent shot at winning. If I get 3 calls, and 4-5 others get 3 calls, then anything can happen.

I should have factored in team count like Scottie stated..let's say a 35-45 team contest and you only have 1 call but others have multiple calls would you still feel like you were in there I wouldn't at all.

Honestly, Matt, the calls/placings don't correlate as closely as you'd think they would. We just got another GC without a single first-place call. One great call *can* make the day, one missed category (if it's a spectacular tank) can blow it, and you'll never know until you see how the numbers shook out.

This really depends of your definition of "in contention.". Any team that pays the entry fee is technically "in contention" because any team has a chance of winning on any given weekend. If you define it as having a shot to win, then you have to look at the number of quality calls a team gets.

A good example was the Jack winner this past year..if I remember right he won with 1 9th place call..that's where contest size and calls all over the place come in..here is the other end of the spectrum..if you only had 1 call but others had 3 and 4 would you still feel like you were still in contention?..my answer is hell no I wouldn't feel like I had it.

I wouldn't show up if I didn't feel we were "in contention". I feel we have a shot at it every contest. I believe most teams feel that way. So I guess my answer is I always feel I'm "in contention"

I feel the same way Paul(looking forward to Vista)..I guess I should have stated at award time when the calls are handed out...everybody is in contention before awards but when the calls come down we all know he who has the most calls usually wins..not always but most of the time..and when you only have 1 and others have 3-4 you should expect you won't be winning that day..or aren't in contention.

I saw a guy get 2 1st place calls and third place call and wound up 11th overall. The one category killed it for him. It all depends on the spread of points inside each category as well. It's never over until the last team is called.

at my last event i was max(except chicken:wacko:)within 6 points of either 1st or 5th in every category.

i finished middle of the pack, not 1 call.

i knew i wasn't in contention for GC/RGC but dayum after getting the scores you really see how fine a line it is.

Thanks for your responses guys..I value everyones opinion..and it's why I love the brethren!

Serious question.

Why does it matter? I'm really curious about why you asked.

Being a rather new competitor, I can understand that perhaps he's curious (like us) on what it takes to achieve GC status.

I think I've got a good grasp on it....as it seems like you need to put ALL categories together, without a 'bomb' on any single one. But as also said, the points will of course play into it. Let's face it....a 1st in chicken, isn't the same as 1st in ribs. The scoring is really what it comes down to.

As an example....our team's last contest in DC. In a scattered announcement of the awards (brisket called 1st, etc.)...we had a 5th in brisket, 2nd in ribs, 10th in pork. Our chicken has been our best entry in our few events. But....it was 20th (of 39 teams).

For a glimpse of a millisecond....we thought, "oh shoot, we've got a chance to beat Myron, Triggers, and Tuffy.

Back to earth boys.... 6th overall....but proudly, we did beat out 1 of the 'big boys'.

I guess it's that moment when your team thinks...."hey, we've got a shot here". It's a cool feeling. Even if you end up 6th, or 12th.

Serious question.

Why does it matter? I'm really curious about why you asked.

I think he asked because after stating what "in contention" meant to him he then wanted to know what it means to other individuals just to see what people think. I'm sure in the grand scheme of things many of the questions on here don't really matter, but he was just interested in other opinions, which is what a lot of this forum is about.

I think he asked because after stating what "in contention" meant to him he then wanted to know what it means to other individuals just to see what people think. I'm sure in the grand scheme of things many of the questions on here don't really matter, but he was just interested in other opinions, which is what a lot of this forum is about.

Took the words out of my mouth..just wanted to see the difference of opnions here..some people think one way some another..does it matter?..not really but I was curious..again thanks for all of the input.

We know if we have a shot before we go to awards. Rarely are we surprised if we do bad. We've never won without at least 3 calls so if we get past brisket and we have three and nobody has 4 my heart is beating pretty fast. Obviously at a big contest 50+ this goes out the window.

Back