Tamales

Cascabel are much milder than chili de arbol. More of a earthy, woody flavor. Used more for flavor than heat.Here is a cut and paste:

Species Name: Capsicum annuum.
Color: Green maturing to red, dries deep reddish brown.
Shape: Bell-shaped rounded pods.
Description: Smoky, woodsy, slightly bitter tannic flavor.
Scoville Heat Units: 1,250-2,500
Other Names: Chile Bola, Rattle chile.
Related Cultivars: Mirasol.
Most Commonly Grown In: Mexico

"Cascabel" in Spanish means "jingle bells", and the chili pepper gets its name from the fact that when dried, shaking the pepper makes the seeds inside the pod to rattle.

Bigdog said:
Looks like a dried cherry pepper. So I take it that the answer is no?

correct, usually find them as dry pods in the Mexican section of the grocery store. Cascabels are not nearly as hot as an Arbol, and they have a different flavor. It is the only chili my mother in law will use for her tamales though.

Thanks guys. I will give them a try next time I find them. Souldn't be a problem as we have several Hispanic grocery stores around here.

Elkhound said:
Mother in-law won't let me smoke the meat for tamales. She is from Guymas Mexico (Baja) area and claims that the meat must be boiled. Her tamales are the best I've ever tasted, so I figured it wasn't worth an argument.

if she is from Mexico, then she probably told you the best tamale pork meat comes from the hog head.

elk, how many tamales does that make???? 500??? the link ealrier was a great resource and this will be a winter project this year. I see a neighbor hood party coming on. Scott

Back