Harry Soo's BBQ Class

I have heard nothing but good things about Harry's class.

Any chance you would consider taking the class that Harry is attending up north in a few weeks? The one held by the CBBQA being taught by Butcher's? No doubt lots to learn there too!

Harry packs a lot into his 6 hour class. He emphasizes the science of the meats and why cooking a specific way and paying attention to detail gets the result you want. He addressed what you need to do to place high in any competition and how to assess what you need to do think about to compete in any contest nationally.

His classes are filled three months ahead of date. As noted in previous post, too bad the California forum won't let you know about the classes due to their conflict of interest guidelines.

An added note is that Harry will probably be offering an "advanced" class sometime in the future which assuredly will be a plus.

I don't care what you think, you have to try Harry's Seared Ahi Tuna recipe. Amazing!

SYD Signature Seared Ahi Tuna w Maui Onion Dressing (see Bobby Flay audition video below on how to prepare this dish). Always a crowd favorite and our most requested catering appetizer

Ingredients
Sashimi Grade Tuna
SYD All Purpose Rub
Extra virgin olive oil

Dressing
1/4 cup light soy sauce
1/4 cup Japanese rice wine vinegar
1 tbs honey
1 tsp Japanese Shichimi pepper blend (red chili pepper you see in all Japanese restaurants; use cayenne as substitute)
dash of pepper
pinch of Kosher salt
1 Tbs Japanese sesame oil
1/2 cup finely chopped Maui onions

Garnish
Radish sprouts
Black sesame seeds
White sesame seed
Soak tuna overnight in ziploc bag drizzled with extra virgin olive oil (this secret step will tenderize the tuna). Remove tuna from bag. Dust with medium sprinkling of SYD rub. Sear on hot saucepan 60 seconds each surface. Pour dressing on serving plate. Slice tuna about pencil thick and lay in circular pattern. Garnish with radish sprouts and sesame seeds.

Here is the video.
YouTube - Harry5 Final Med Res

Too bad you can't hear it on the CA forum.

Most people don't realize that Harry turned down the opportunity to advertize his classes on the CBBQA board. An offer was made.

Harry is a great cook and teacher, he's the best in a strong stable of cooks we currently have out here in CA.

I took one of Harry's classes about 2 years ago. It was great. I should probably take it again, as it sounds like he has added some to it.

I would LOVE to take an advanced class Harry...hint, hint!

Pete

I don't care what you think, you have to try Harry's Seared Ahi Tuna recipe. Amazing!

Funny story about this: Last year I was selling rub in front of a site in North Little Rock, and Harry Soo walked by. I jokingly said to him, "Hey Harry, wanna try some of this rub?" He replied "Yes! I'm cooking some Ahi tuna a few sites down. I'll use your rub on it!" He then took the bottle I was using for samples and walked away!

A few hours later I was on the phone, telling my wife how Harry Soo had "punked" me by stealing my rub, and no sooner had I said it, than Harry poked his head into the site, handed me back my sample bottle, and gave me a piece of the tuna. I agree that it was amazing! I've had dreams about cooking it since then, but my wife was pregnant, and I don't really know where to by Sashini grade tuna in Nashville. I suppose on Nolensville road. St. Louis, I knew:(

dmp

However, I strongly feel no one should be barred from speaking about how great a class was without paying some dough; it is simply chit chat. I also think that said forum would get more hits from guests based on this type of free flowing exchange of information. Those guests would eventually become members and the forum would reap the benefit of growth in its membership

I digress!:tape::becky:

Glad you learned something from the class and had fun, Neil!

Most people don't realize that Harry turned down the opportunity to advertize his classes on the CBBQA board. An offer was made.

Harry is a great cook and teacher, he's the best in a strong stable of cooks we currently have out here in CA.

As I understand it, the CBBQA gave Harry his business membership fee back and told him he couldn't advertise his classes because they conflicted with the CBBQA classes. Harry offered to teach a CBBQA class but he was dismissed because he wasn't a Hall of Famer. Just rookie of the year and team of the year.

I guess it doesn't really matter because Harry is kicking butt and his classes are always full.

I hope Harry starts posting here more often. The brethren doors are always open.

I met Harry and Benny last summer at a comp in Langley, BC...they kicked our arse...:tsk:...but they did it with class! :becky: I would be the first to sign up for his advanced class. :thumb:

Harry, Me, and the swamprb...:p

YakimaLangley2010037.jpg

Harry is class. He's kicking arse and his cream is rising to the top. He deserves all the good things that are coming his way. Some of the old timers just cant believe how he's getting over....On pure talent and solid BBQ.

Back