Tip Top temp controller

BigBobBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I recieved a Tip Top today to try out. I figured for less than $30 I would give it a try and see how it works on my Akorn. I can use it until I upgrade to an electronic ATC then transfer it to my uds or my kettle. I had to make up a way to mount it but an old stove power cord provided the copper wire I needed. I had about a chimney full of old and left over charcoal so I loaded it up and started it with a Weber starter cube. I allowed it to come up to just below my target temp then made a guess on where to set my vents. It hit 266 and I made a quick adjustment and it dropped to 252 and has sat right there for the last 2 hours. Going to let it just run all night to see just how long it will hold a steady temp. Now the pics.

Tip Top

Mounted

my mounting system.

another mount view.

dial setting.

bottom vent setting.

UPDATE: I started monitoring at 7:45 and it ran in the range of 250-260 until I went out at 3:30 and removed my wireless therm, the battery was dying in it. It held steady in that range the whole time without any adjustments on my part after my initial adjustment. So 8 hours which I think is a great job.

UPDATE: just woke up and went out and checked and 12 hours in and it is still chugging along, dome therm is off but at a guess it is still running close to 240-250 grate temp.

Back