Ghost pepper

zwylde1

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hello Brethren....I grew myself a really nice crop of Ghost peppers this year. That little bugger is some hot! I am looking at my options to save these guys as you do not need much of them to kick up the heat in food. What can I do to dry them and or grind them up? Thanks in advance.

If you don't have a dehydrator there are a few options.
1) slice thin as possible and sun dry on newspaper, butchers paper or wax paper
2) slice as above and put in the oven at the lowest setting with the door propped open and check regularly
3) string the stems, keeping good air space between peppers, with a cotton string, like butchers string, and hang in an area with good airflow. This option will take longer but works quite well.
Hope that'll help ya out.

Glad to help when I can

And them peppers are insane HOT!!!!!!

They'll burn ya up..........twice

Yeah, I just got a little ol' 20 dollar dehydrator that was on clearance at Wal-Mart six years ago now for ten dollars. It dehydrates peppers like nothing. Takes about a day, maybe a day and a half. Oster brand if I remember right. If you're looking at saving peppers, dehydrator is a great investment. Plus jerky! And banana chips. Mmm, banana chips.

The oster is a good dehydrator. Plus you can buy extra racks and stack it higher for more volume.

Dedicated coffee grinder. Just don't forget and actually use it for grinding coffee...

I ended up getting a Sunbeam knockoff of that... Bullet? Or whatever it is. Damn near is a coffee grinder, but has a quad blade setup like a blender. Works like a charm for gnawing down some peppers. I soak it in baking soda water if I plan on using it for anything else, but that rarely happens. Think I used it one time to make some powdered sugar when I ran out, and needed it for making some icing or some such nonsense. Didn't have a problem with spicy icing or anything.

Buy a respirator and double up on the gloves whatever you do!

You could buy a little spice grinder or coffee grinder.

Respirator?! Pffffft! Every time I inhale those perfumey chili fumes, it reminds me of the Chemical district out in Pasadena. Nothing will interfere with my nostalgia! NOTHING!

I place my cayenne peppers on a rack on the kitchen counter. Move and rotate them around every couple of days. In 2-3 weeks they are dried and then grind as needed. I smoke jalapeño and habaneros at 175-200 for a couple hours then dry on rack.

Hello Brethren....I grew myself a really nice crop of Ghost peppers this year. That little bugger is some hot! I am looking at my options to save these guys as you do not need much of them to kick up the heat in food. What can I do to dry them and or grind them up? Thanks in advance.

NICE! I have my own just about ready to harvest amoung other super hot varieties

Dry and grind is a great option

I like to add some to vinegar-based BBQ sauces

Smoke them! Then finish drying and grind or add to anything

There are lots of simple hot sauce recipes that are tasty

If you like drying these try naga dorsetts next year (or naga vipers)....their skin is a little thinner and dry easier

Good luck from a fellow chili head

NICE! I have my own just about ready to harvest amoung other super hot varieties

Dry and grind is a great option

I like to add some to vinegar-based BBQ sauces

Smoke them! Then finish drying and grind or add to anything

There are lots of simple hot sauce recipes that are tasty

If you like drying these try naga dorsetts next year (or naga vipers)....their skin is a little thinner and dry easier

Good luck from a fellow chili head

You're scaring me...

FYI those peppers where developed use as for chemical weapons, Ever been hit with Pepper Spray it's the main ingredient? When you start to grind them goggles, a respariator, Gloves are a must I also use a Fan to PULL the dust & fumes away.

Pepper spray's usually something like 6 million scoville extract suspended in a solution (capsaicin's insoluble in water) The ghost chillies clock in around 1 million. Not something I choose to cook with often but I've made the odd curry with them; it's an interesting experience so long as you can plan the next morning around the inevitable trip to the bathroom :shock:

Yeah Bludawg is not kidding! I dry my peppers in my oven. I put them on a sheet pan on the top rack and turn on the light bulb, door closed. Makes a great dehydrator, leave it over night. I leave them whole and grind them in a dedicated coffee grinder. I close my eyes, hold my breath, grind and then run away! Ha Ha!!

I save the seed from all my peppers for use next year. some of the more exotic varieties can cost close to a dollar per seed. I put my peppers in greenhouse trays put them
on the front porch and let them dry. Makes it easy to harvest the seed.

The only experience I have with the ghost pepper was in some cheese we bought this summer. It definitely burns ya twice!

Back