Did my first whole hog yesterday!

Thanks for the kudos! The smoke penetration was actually very good. I anticipated it would be harder to get a good smoke flavor so I laid it on THICK for the first 4 hours with cherry. I think smoke filed the chest cavity where he was laid out racer style and got in the meat pretty well.

I doubt you would be able to get that pig in a WSM. I had him in diagonally and he was about as big as I would feel comfortable with in my Lang. I would really have my concerns about circulation and it cooking right in anything smaller.

Looks good. What size is your Lang? The 35 pounder took up all the space.

It's just a 36. He could have been closer to 40lbs, my brother went and picked it up for me and didn't know the exact weight. You're right though, there wasn't much room left, LoL. I did manage to throw 4 hot dogs, 4 chicken breasts, and about 8-10 drumsticks on there as well though!

Wow nice cook!!!!
Is it odd that i find the pic of the pig looking out of the smoker a little creepy?:wink:

I've eaten leftover swine twice today! Just as good on round two and three. I'm think a BBQ pizza for round 4 tomorrow.

Haha, yea. I'm a firm believer that I'm a better cook and dancer when I drink.

Proven fact for me!

Well done.

Nothing like having great looking women to inspire our grilling attemps.:clap:

I may have missed it but what rub/injection, if any, did you use?

I didn't inject this time. I just used a basic rub of paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, celery salt, dried garlic, black pepper, cayenne pepper, ground mustard, sugar, and a couple other randoms that sounded good while while digging through my spice cabinet. I gave the inside of the chest cavity a real good coating and let it sit over night. I wiped the skin down with vegetable oil an then threw him on the smoker the next morning.

Proven fact for me!

Well done.

Nothing like having great looking women to inspire our grilling attemps.:clap:

True, I couldn't argue with my wife that she as a surgeon was more qualified to dissect the pig than I was since she knew I hadn't don't one before. I just let her and my buddy hack away hike I stood back and ate the bacon when I spotted it, haha

Back