• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What to cook first?

Something greasy will help break it in.

Have fun!

"You don't win friends with salad!" - Homer Simpson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use mine CONSTANTLY for chuckies. Seared in olive oil on all sides on the stove top, covered in a packet of Lipton Onion Soup Mix, then 275 for six hours (no additional water needed). Make a gravy with the drippings. Best. Pot roast. Ever!

Agree, some really greasy stuff. got to get that base built up with a greasy cook. Sausage first then marinara or something like that..

Agree, some really greasy stuff. got to get that base built up with a greasy cook. Sausage first then marinara or something like that..
it is preseasoned, so I shouldn't need to...but I suppose I should have asked if anybody has any experience with preseasoned CI and if that's really true

I use mine CONSTANTLY for chuckies. Seared in olive oil on all sides on the stove top, covered in a packet of Lipton Onion Soup Mix, then 275 for six hours (no additional water needed). Make a gravy with the drippings. Best. Pot roast. Ever!
it always comes back to cuckies with you:wink:
that does sound really good...I'm assuming that six hours is covered?

Bacon and Beans.
Cheers.
Titch
that sounds good too

that's the direction I had been originally leaning...I usually like to do a chili with the leftover turkey and some chorizo--it doesn't last long:thumb:

Thanks for all the suggestions!

it is preseasoned, so I shouldn't need to...but I suppose I should have asked if anybody has any experience with preseasoned CI and if that's really true

it always comes back to cuckies with you:wink:

that sounds good too

that's the direction I had been originally leaning...I usually like to do a chili with the leftover turkey and some chorizo--it doesn't last long:thumb:

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Ya got a recipe for that turkey chili that u could share please? I have a ton left over lol

Ya got a recipe for that turkey chili that u could share please? I have a ton left over lol
This is how I roll with it, sub turkey for pork and Sweet tatoes for russets.

Green Chili Stew

Ingredients:
2 Lbs. Lean Pork, Cubed
3 Baking Potatoes
1 Large Yellow Sweet Onion, Diced
2 Tbs. Fresh Crushed Garlic
3 Tbs. Vegetable Oil
4 Cups Chopped Roasted Green Chili
1 Quart Chicken Broth
1 Quart Water
1 1/2 Tbs. Salt
1 Dash Cumin

Thickener:
1 Cup Flour
6 oz. Water

Directions:
Brown pork in hot skillet until done and then shred using two forks. Saute the potatoes, onions, and garlic in the vegetable oil for five minutes or until almost soft. Add pork, green chili, water, chicken broth, and salt and boil for 15 minutes.

In a small bowl combine the flour and water and whisk well to make the thickener. Add the thickener and let simmer for five minutes until ready.

I don't generally cook by recipe...but I can tell you more or less what I do...

I prefer to make a stock from the carcass today, and make the chili tomorrow

Basically, in a stock pot, sweat out some onions with garlic, and whatever/however many peppers you like (jalapenos are good, chipotles in adobo are better) until the onions are soft
Season with some salt and pepper
Add in your turkey (this chili is even better if your turkey or chicken was smoked)
Throw in a can or 2 of diced tomatoes, and a couple of cans of beans (I usually go with 1 each white and red)--I don't rinse the beans, the slime helps thicken it up nicely
Add enough stock to cover the whole mixture, plus a few inches (I usually end up using around 3-4 cups)
In a separate skillet, brown up some chorizo on low heat until the fat renders out. Drain the chorizo really well, and add it in to the stock pot.
Finely chop the stems from 1 bunch of cilantro, and add in. Chop and reserve the leaves.
Season with your typical chili spices. I keep it nice and simple--cumin, chili powder (regular and ancho if you have it), some cayenne, white pepper, fresh cracked black pepper.
Bring that whole mess up to a boil, then knock it back to a simmer for 3-4 hours, or until your liquid has reduced by at least 1/3, and/or until you've reached the consistency you like, tasting occasionally and re-seasoning as needed
Add the cilantro leaves around 10 minutes before you serve
Finish with a little heavy cream (usually around 1/4 cup or so) a few minutes before serving.

it always comes back to chuckies with you:wink:
It sure does! I love a fatty cut of beef and when we've run out of ribeyes, rib roasts, chuckeyes and the like, there's always an abundance of chuckies left in the freezer from our steer! BTW, yes covered. You can also just use powdered beef soup base in place of the Lipton if you don't want the rehydrated onions. The first time you try it, leave out the traditional potatoes, carrots, and onions. They put off so much liquid that it messes with the carmelization on the beef. I do mine in a separate CI pot with a soup bone for flavor.

What JP and Marty say. Pre-seasoned isn't really seasoned enough.

good to know...I've got a set of CI skillets I've had a long time that are nicely seasoned from use, and this looks pretty similar in color to those. I may still go with something on the fattier side to start just to be safe

If your chili is to be tomato-based, I would wait a while to cook it in that new dutch oven. Acidic foods such as tomato may be too much for the seasoning that it has now. I agree with the "something greasy" advice. Sausage or bacon, great. The fried chicken suggestion, also great. I have a well-used DO that I won't hesitate to use for chili, but again, it is well-used. One thing that I think helps to keep mine seasoned is that I occasionally deep-fry in it.

It sure does! I love a fatty cut of beef and when we've run out of ribeyes, rib roasts, chuckeyes and the like, there's always an abundance of chuckies left in the freezer from our steer! BTW, yes covered. You can also just use powdered beef soup base in place of the Lipton if you don't want the rehydrated onions. The first time you try it, leave out the traditional potatoes, carrots, and onions. They put off so much liquid that it messes with the carmelization on the beef. I do mine in a separate CI pot with a soup bone for flavor.

decided to go with your suggestion. Did the chuckie in the DO, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips and some onion in a separate CI skillet, made gravy out of the drippings, and put it all back together at the end...it was fan-farking-tastic! definitely the best pot roast I've ever made. only problem is that I ate way too much, and now I've got to get my overstuffed self to work :doh:
no pr0n though...didn't realize the pic I snapped was blurry until way later :tsk: maybe next time

I'd be happy to relieve you of your leftovers! Hate to see you get overstuffed twice! Did you sear it with oil first and go with the onion soup mix? How about time and temp. I should throw a chuckie in right now.....it'll be ready for breakfast!!

Back