View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
donmiller
Knows what a fatty is.

It would certainly be better to use the bottom vent in the context that the fire would not tend to "run away" if the top section was removed for re-fueling.

Being lazy, it was easier to adjust the top and leave the bottom alone, however...

Regarding LT's comment --- this is no egg, it has limitations that the egg does not have. The top compartment is not insulated, so you burn more fuel, and you need to make adjustments if the external temperature changes. It is true that the design of the firebox was heavily influenced by the egg, however. I own two eggs, and they are my primary cookers. This thing is an experiment. This unit may be the thing I take on trips, however. I have not found a reasonalble or practical way to transport my eggs!

The unit has been burning for 8 hours now, so it will definately be possible to do a cook with this thing and get a night's sleep. I sort of expect it to peter out after about 12 hours. One thing that is cool about this design is that if you do need to re-fuel, removing the top section does not cause a huge amount of cool air to enter the cooking chamber. The baffle at the bottom of the cooking chamber slows down the exchange of outside air, and once you set the cooking chamber down on the driveway or ground, the air exchange is slowed down even further.

Forgot to mention earlier that I made no effort to scrounge for used or surplus parts. Everything was purchased new, and I came in at around $60. It should be possible to build a similar cooker for much cheaper if parts were scrounged. The lard cans were about $12 each new.

Don
Sunshine Legend 3000 Gasser :shocked:
donmiller is offline   Reply With Quote