BBQ Brethren "Treats for Santa" Throwdown!

I had hoped to post a plated photo of Christmas Meatball Subs
into this Throwdown, but my camera's batteries let me down.
Here's the cook thread...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97673

Hopefully these will suffice as an Official Entry...
MeatBalls Prepped.....I think they look Very Christmasy
Christmas_Meatballs1.jpg

And after they have been Smoked, Please use this pic for the Throwdown...
Entry.jpg

Rule 2 is sort of like the 10th amendment, i.e., generally ignored. Everyone has a completely different idea of what grilled or smoked means and it also is fun to whine and tweak Chris about it on occasion. I believe it was Rick who said originally that Rule 2 means that it must be cooked outside, so if something is boiled or fried outside it is ok. At the same time, if something is cooked inside in the fireplace, as I think BobBrisket did once, you could catch some grief. This interpretation is not universal and I haven't subscribed to it:

maybe a throw down category of unconventional cooking. Candles, microwave, bic lighters, pickled, etc. Could be interesting.

To get you in the mood, click here, turn up the volume, and come right back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJSUT8Inl14

IMG_0451.jpg

Well, this is a really strange throwdown. It is understandable that the Brethren would want savory treats, but Santa? Seriously, you guys are projecting! I know for a fact that a treat for Santa is sweet. If you guys watched the many Christmas documentaries with your children on TV this time of year like your wives asked, instead of watching some silly football games, you’d know this. In the documentary “Elf,” for instance, it is stressed that sugar is the food of choice for residents of the North Pole. In addition, for decades children leave a plate of cookies and milk out for Jolly Old St. Nick. Children know how to optimize the number of presents. If they thought they could get more presents by leaving smoked salmon or prime rib, believe me they would be leaving smoked salmon and prime rib out instead. What are you all thinking? That Santa likes cookies and milk is indisputable! So, this Christmas I made Santa a treat, oatmeal cookies. I began by mixing up the dough

IMG_0450.jpg

I rolled it out:

IMG_0458.jpg

And baked those cookies on my Oval:

IMG_0459.jpg

To satisfy his sweet tooth, I added some caramel:

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

And then I dipped them in Belgian chocolate:

IMG_0501.jpg

I use both a dark and milk Belgian chocolate as you never know what he’ll be in the mood for. I also roasted some pecans on my Oval.

IMG_0454.jpg

There are all kinds of things I make with these pecans, but I think the all-time favorite is drumsticks. I’ve been making these for years. I start with pretzel sticks and coat them with caramel:

IMG_0497.jpg

I then cover these with those roasted pecans:

IMG_0498.jpg

And I coat them with Belgian chocolate:

IMG_0502.jpg

Imagine something like a Twix bar and a Turtle, but made with really good caramel and Belgian chocolate and you get an idea what they’re like.

IMG_0503.jpg

I also whipped up some toffee. Toffee is one of the most nutritious foods for elves as it is made with butter and sugar:

IMG_0524.jpg

This is stirred constantly while the temperature increases to 300*.

IMG_0530.jpg

I lay out those Oval-roasted pecans in a cookie-sheet

IMG_0525.jpg

Pour the toffee over the top

IMG_0531.jpg

And smooth it out

IMG_0532.jpg

To add to the nutritional value I cover this with Belgian milk chocolate

IMG_0534.jpg

And smooth it out when it is melted

IMG_0535.jpg

Finally, when this hardens, I coat it with powdered sugar to keep Santa’s fingers from getting chocolaty. I set these out for Santa with a glass of milk and a shot of single malt (I don’t know how rough Santa’s night has been).

IMG_0562.jpg

The nice thing about cookies, toffee and drumsticks is you can eat them with one hand, keeping the other hand free for the reins. I also made some Bundt cakes, but they’re not for Santa as he can’t really eat a cake any more than he can eat salmon while he’s driving that sleigh.

IMG_0464.jpg

As further proof of the Jolly Man’s preference for sweets I laid out my plate of goodies with those of someone else in the household who had the idea that perhaps Santa might prefer something savory. :roll: Now I cannot claim that this was an unbiased experiment as there is still the Naughtiness-Niceness factor to consider, but the results were visible for all to see Christmas morning.

Savory Smoked Salmon:

IMG_0482.jpg

Not a bad haul this year compared to most, I must admit. :roll:

Sweet Cookies and Milk:

IMG_0483.jpg

As you can plainly see, hundreds of millions of children know what they are doing!

Oh, I thought it might be fun to hook the camera up to a motion sensor to see if I could get the Master Elf in action. This is what we got.

IMG_0587.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Oh my!:shock: Those look incredible! The toffee alone has completely won me over!:becky: The wife and kids agree too!

Ecode, looks like you made Santa very happy! Great job on this creative entry...are there any leftovers that Santa didn't finish? If so, please all of them to me.

Wow, Ecode! That all looks great! I really like the little drummies!

Rule 2 is sort of like the 10th amendment, i.e., generally ignored. Everyone has a completely different idea of what grilled or smoked means and it also is fun to whine and tweak Chris about it on occasion. I believe it was Rick who said originally that Rule 2 means that it must be cooked outside, so if something is boiled or fried outside it is ok. At the same time, if something is cooked inside in the fireplace, as I think BobBrisket did once, you could catch some grief. This interpretation is not universal and I haven't subscribed to it.

Geez... I didn't mean to start all of this. I was merely asking a question. I assumed that it was the apple-smoked bacon, but I was curious.

I'm sorry, Larry. If the bacon was cooked in your grill or smoker, or you cured it and smoked it yourself, let the entry stand. I was serious when I said that it looked great.

REMINDER

Voting starts TOMORROW 12/27.

This reminder is more for me than anyone else!:becky: That way I don't go and post a voting thread on the wrong farking day!:doh:

REMINDER

This reminder is more for me than anyone else!:becky: That way I don't go and post a voting thread on the wrong farking day!:doh:

This thread is getting even more confusing. Does that mean tomorrow is today? Let's do the Time Warp Again!

REMINDER

WOW! If tomorrow is 12/27 that means we get another day off work! :becky:

I only want to turn 44 once PLEASE.....:becky: Great looking entries from everyone.

:doh:

OK, OK....

The voting starts tomorrow 12/28.:rolleyes:

There, are you happy now?

Crispy the MOINKman

Apologies to Larry....

Felt, I needed to change the tired old Frosty Tale to something more pertinent and barbeque-y.

So here's our Christmas treat for Santa avec modified tune.

Crispy the MOINKman is a juicy yummy treat,
With a bacon wrap and a dry rub shake,
And a body made of meat.
Crispy the MOINKman is a fairy tale they say,
He was made of beef but the Brethren
know how he smoked to life one day
There must have been some magic in that
Bacon wrap they bound
For when they skewered it on his head
The taste began to astound

O, Crispy the MOINKman
Is as tasty as could be,