Teaching BBQ Classes At Competitions...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Food for thought...would it be "legal" for teams to teach and compete at a KCBS sanctioned qualifying event? For example...Team "A" holds a class on Friday for 10 teams that plan to compete on Saturday...including Team "A".
There could also be several other teams that may hold classes as well...what say ye Brethren? :becky:

-I imagine it would be 'legal'
-I imagine class would be 'pay to play'?? If so, Would aforementioned TEAM A be COMPLETELY FORTHCOMING - I guess my question would be, "WHADDAYA not tellin' me??" Because in my world accepting $$ from peers one assumes Integrity supercedes 'secrets' -- although, I do realize it's all about the actual 'cook'

-would participants leave the 'classroom' doing the proverbial 'walk of shame' (ahhh...to be in college again) by perhaps, more judgmental teams? ALTHOUGH, if any Brethren wanted to 'practice' teaching a Q class and asked me to sit in I would GLADLY do that for you!! Just sayin'...

-Is course a general invite 'Shmoking 101'? Would that be beneficial at an actual comp?

My only thought is whether or not a competition organizer would be keen on the idea of you making money in that fashion during his/her event.

I would not have an issue with it. As long as the organizer was OK with it...no worries.

I think a lot of the more experienced teams "lightly" teach the other new teams anyways....for free.

Ive invited people to cook with me for free. Maybe I should start charging. People who have worked with me see exactly what I do. The classes I have attended hold nothing back.

A class the day before a contest would just be a distraction for those learning. I spent months practicing after taking a class.

It's been done 2 years in a row @ Smokin in Mesquite..Butcher BBQ then 4 legs up this year..except Kelly did the class on Friday and turn ins were Sunday this year.

Are not most KCBS events Friday-Saturday gigs?

I think CSC and Quau did this in Wyoming this Summer?

Yes. Did it on Friday and all the students beat our butts on Saturday....

My only thought is whether or not a competition organizer would be keen on the idea of you making money in that fashion during his/her event.

Seems to me when I was living in Arizona that this was actually part of the promotional package for the entire event at Lake Havasu.

There was a KCBS competiton class by 4 Legs Up, KCBS Judging class, as well as the event which fielded about 70 teams.

I obviously don't know the financial side between the organizer and the instructor but I think working in conjunction with the organizer is a great idea to grow the events through education of how to cook the meats as well as what the rules are.

I have always thought it would be cool to organize a mini BBQ convention a day before a comp. You arrive and set up your booth Thursday. Then Friday during the day there are classes to choose from…this way you can have locals and teams come in a take comp cooking classes, you could have a focus group in presentation and box building, a food safety class for those looking to start vending…etc

One stop BBQ Shop…dunno if it would ever work, but it’s a cool idea

I wouldn’t have a problem with it, but KCBS might…

A couple of years ago Ramona did a Box Preparation Class at PoorQue. The reps were ok with the class but wanted it made PERFICTLY CLEAR that KCBS had nothing to do with it and didn't support it.

We taught a class at the Roc City ribfest this year the day before the comp... worked out fine. We did it in conjunction with the organizer. He offered it as a service to the teams that were looking for something like that. A value add for his event.

I would like to teach a class at Mesquite next year, I think that would be a blast! Dont know if they rotate annually or what out there, so I will have to talk to Arlie.

The classes really have nothing to do with KCBS, and are not part of the KCBS sanctioned event.... so really it is just the organizer that you would need to work with. We'll be teaching classes in Canada this year again at Well Seasoned, and likely doing a comp class before an event :) not spilling toooo many secrets yet... but we had so much fun last year ( and all 4 classes we taught were well attended, and great folks) that we are going back for sure!!!

I'm always open to teaching a class at any comp we are at!

As far as private stuff... many folks here will attest to the fact that I dont hide anything, If you have a question, ask and I answer. and many times, I'll just drag ya in the trailer and walk through whatever it is I am trying to explain. Now if someone wants EVERY detail... then that will cost then some coin... for 1 on 1 full contact instruction. LOL we do our share of imbibing on Friday night ... so be forwarned, any skills forgotten, can be re-explained. ;)

Sounds like a great idea and one that he KCBS should support as it would incourage newbies to try their hand in competition, but then again, the current board seems more interested in drama.:drama:

Another idea is to have judging classes before as well and then you could try your hand and applying what you just learned at a comp the next day. Does anyone already do this?

Sounds like a great idea and one that he KCBS should support as it would incourage newbies to try their hand in competition, but then again, the current board seems more interested in drama.:drama:

Another idea is to have judging classes before as well and then you could try your hand and applying what you just learned at a comp the next day. Does anyone already do this?

I think quite a few do this.

I know it is probably just me and the wife thinking this way but we compete for fun, we could care less if we win or not, we are just doing it for some fun time together.

Two years ago we were doing a rib competition and a tv news crew interviewed us and asked what the prize was if we won, we told them, "we don't have a clue, we just do this for fun and to make new friends"

I know we are the minority on this though

A number of comps do this in our area and we are now avoiding them... Nothing like claiming 100% CBJ when half of them have never judged before....

Back