• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Our second amateur comp

bassandbeer

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just a couple questions before our comp in a couple weeks.

1. Marinating and pre-seasoning are allowed. Would you suggest doing this, since it is legal in the amateur? We are cooking brisket and ribs. I'm good on the ribs, but we only have about 9 hours to cook and turn in the brisket. Will marinating help w/ tenderness for a short brisket cook?

2. We're using 2 horizontal smokers. Does a water pan right at the opening from the firebox to the cook chamber do anything?

Just looking for the best options for our comp. Took DAL on ribs last time, but we were cooking on a vertical, homemade smoker (converted a file cabinet), and temp control was a huge issue.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
The Meat Rubbers BBQ

Are they giving you the meats or are you buying them? If you are buying them, I would buy a few of each to have back-ups in case of a problem. You may also want to purchase smaller packers as the time to cook is partially determined by how large the item is.

Some teams separate the flat and the point and trim down the flat pretty aggressively. That might be another option if you are concerned about time.

If you want to rub the ribs early, you may want to use a rub without salt. That will eliminate the ham like flavor. Use another rub w/ salt just prior to smoking and layer the flavors.

If they are letting you manipulate the meat ahead of time, I certainly would. I'd inject marinate (again, being careful of the salt) and rub.

Eric

I am buying the meats, so I will have them ahead of time. Already planning on getting extras for contingencies. I am not going to pre-season our ribs. We're very happy with the way they currently come out, and don't want to mess with it this close to the comp.

We're not the best on brisket, but I'm thinking that I will marinate/inject that ahead of time. Smaller packers are a must for this one. Never heard of an amateur comp doing brisket, but that's what they want. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the tips.

Well, we tied for first in brisket! Got 4th in ribs, but that's not surprising, as I forgot a MAJOR ingredient and didn't remember it until I needed to put it on. Oh well, live and learn. Got all 9's on appearance though. Very happy with the results.

969617_10201173237166863_1928077811_n.jpg

Back