View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
laveen1
Knows what a fatty is.

Talking My first successful brisket!!

Wow - what a thrill! My wife spotted a 6# flat (@ $1.99/lb) and sent me a pic from the store. It looked fantastic, so I said GRAB IT!!

I opened it up to check it out and rub it. It looked even better out of the bag.

So I applied the rub. Here it is all prepped and waiting for the 22.5 WSM to come up to heat.

I tried to keep the temp at 215 to 220. It varied a little, but other than a couple of short spikes to 230, it hung right around 215 to 225. I put in a full bag of Kingsford Competition briquettes and used the Minion method. I have a feeling the temperature spikes were probably from the wood chunks flaring.

When it hit 165 (about 4 1/2 hours later) I foiled it with some of the juices it gave off (there was plenty). 4 hours after that it hit 203 and I pulled it from the fire. I used a baster to get most of the juice from the foil, wrapped it tightly in the foil. Next came a couple of big towels and into the cooler. Three hours after that I unwrapped it and cut it up for the table.

The picture doesn't do that hunk of meat justice. It was exactly the color I wanted, and boy was it juicy and flavorful. Just writing about it makes my mouth water. Four of us consumed almost that whole flat.

Tomorrow I'm smoking a pastrami. I'll try to get some pron before it all gets eaten.
Maverick ET-732
Auber Temp Controller

[I]"that truth, justice, excellence in Barbeque and the American Way of Life may be strengthened and preserved forever"[/I]
laveen1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->