San Antonio BBQ

frugalsob

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey guys n gals,

Myself and some co-workers are going to be down in San Antonio at the end of the month and just wondering if anyone knows of any good bbq joints we should hit up. We are going to be staying close to the Riverwalk by the Alamo.

Acutally any points of interest would be nice. We are northern boys that are not afraid of a few beers either... :wink:

You guys could make your way to Lockhart, TX. The mecca of Texas BBQ. Has Kreuz Market, Smitty's, Black's, and Chisolm Trail.

That one might have to wait till next time. We won't be getting a rental car, so we're kinda looking for something within walking/cab distance.

Dicks Last Resort on the Riverwalk for your beers. Plenty of restaurants along the Riverwalk. Its been a few years since I've been there but just know most of those places are pricey.

I saw Dick's Last Resort's website. Looks like a pretty fun place!

As far as I know there is only one place on the river, Harmons BBQ. If you walk east on Commerce, under 37, then a few blocks to Cherry St. go left three blocks there is "Chit Chat BBQ" I have enjoyed that several times. For anything else you need a car. Hit Dirty Nelly's on the river for beer. It's below the Hilton Placio Del Rio, it's an old style irish pub with great beer. Mi Tierra or La Margarita for Tex Mex. If you want an authentic Texas bar hit the Esquire.

Dude, you have to go to the Market Square: http://www.sanantonio.gov/dtops/marketsquare/?res=1600&ver=true

Great Mexican stores and a pretty good Mexican food restaurant - historic, too. Of course, there is the Alamo. If you ever have a car in S.A. a great time is going to the Mission Trail - several other historic missions that still exist and still operate at some level (other than just a tourist site)

When are you going down there?

It's been a while but I remember County Line as being pretty good, and there was a place up Bandera Rd that was good, but I can't remember the name. Stay away from Bill Miller's (chain). Oh, and there's probably a Rudy's down there somewhere.

If it were me, I would stop trying to look for BBQ in SA and find some good Mexican or Tex-Mex food. Then drive up to Lockhart for good BBQ.

All great info guys! Thanks!

Dan, we'll be down there 1/22-26.

Bigdog, I'm not afraid of some good Mexican either! I just figured they GOT to have better BBQ there than we do here in WI...

It's been about two years since I was last there, but "The County Line Steakhouse & Grille" was pretty dadgum good!!! Below is the review I put in my book:

"The only difference between the "Bar-B-Q Sampler" appetizer and the "Mixed Platter" meal was the two side items and three dollars! I didn't need the extra sides! Smoked turkey, sausage, beef brisket, beef rib, and pork ribs. WOW! What a feast!! The brisket was a wee bit chewy. Sausage okay. Roast turkey was wonderful (without sauce). Beef rib was very chewy and dry. Pork ribs were really good. Everything was drenched in thick rich sauce with a cup of it to dip in too. Good stuff!"

Back