The Reason Idaho Isn't Known For BBQ

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
The weather! Too cold in the winter and too windy in the summer. I bought some SL spares today and as I'm checking out the wind starts blowing 40mph. Outta nowhere. By the time it settled down it was too late to start cooking. Between work and weather I am finding it hard to get some quality Q-ing time in. I've BBQ'd in the winter and my beer was turning to ice chips in the bottle. I still drank it though.

I feel your pain...wind related anyway. Kansas has 1.5 days a year that the wind is not blowing! I move my smoker around to block as much as possible with my house.

Check out the kamado style smoker/grilles. I grew up on Weber grilles (love em) and learned to smoke on a WSM, but I always had to battle the Minnesota wind and weather, especially with the WSM. I bought a Char-Griller Akorn about 3 years ago and now smoke and grill fearlessly year round. My house is in an open area the winds can blow through, and I've grilled at -20F with no problem. The insulation on the Akorn makes it very heat efficient.

BTW, kind like the ice chip beer.:grin:

Cooked a large batch of KFC today once the front blew through. Timing is everything but this summer in Boise has been perfect for bbq...

Not sure what type of cooker you have, but you can use a sheet of plywood or two to rig up a wind block.

It gets windy in Tx too never let it stop me, I use to work the Diamond R north of Sheridan WY back in the late 70's All I could afford on hands wages was an ECB ever been to WY in the winter?? -00 and windy, but I ate well. I reckon those that Can Do!

Last edited:
Plenty of guys on here posted pics of their cooks last winter AFTER digging their smoker out of a Snow Bank/Drift ...............Qing in the wind does suck tho - I've put the smoker between 2 Pickup Trucks on a really windy day before ......

I'd build yourself a wind break / BBQ hut.

Wind break or wander around the house, looking for he lee. Has to be a way.

I would have guessed "The Reason Idaho Isn't Known For BBQ" is a comparative lack of smoking wood sources.

Well, there is the Smoke on the Water BBQ Championship in CDA next week, and the winner gains an automatic invitation to the Jack this year! http://www.pnwba.com/

But yeah, Idaho is BBQ wasteland!

Back