What meal do you LOVE to cook??

flyingbassman5

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
In the process of balancing out the universe, this thread was bound to happen sooner or later. So in response to Fo Shizzle's thread "What meal do you hate to cook?" I ask you dear brethren, what meal do you LOVE to cook? Why? (Try to pick just one. Think about if you had to pick one thing to cook for the rest of you BBQin' days, what would it be?)

I personally have a lot of cooks I love to do but the single recipe I love from prep to clean up is Wisconsin style Beer Brats. Take em for a sear over hot coals on the Weber and then place them in a bath of beer, a stick of butter, and a whole chopped white onion. And hour later and a little kraut and mustard and I'm a happy camper. Sometimes, I reverse sear them to get a good smoke ring goin' and then into the hour long bath they go.

I would have to say baby back ribs and brisket. Since I started making my own BBRs I refuse to eat them in the faux bbq joints around town. ;) And no one here makes unsauced brisket! :)

Cajun Crawfish and shrimp pontchartrain over jasmine rice.
Buddy lemme tell ya somethin!!!!

Rotisserie chicken. I soak it overnight with sea salt, turbo sugar and fresh herbs. It always comes out tender, juice and full of good flavor. And, it is so easy.

CD

I love to bbq typical italian food that is typically cooked in the regular oven. For example rice potatoes and mussels (typical of Puglia, south italy).

Osechi Ryori, simple as that. The Feast for New Years, when we cook all of the traditional and family recipes. It touches on my heritage, but, more importantly, these are the dishes I learned from my mom and dad, from my mom's mother and it is a direct line of inheritance from them through me to the next generation. And though we have added some modern and Western influences, these are traditions that are centuries old. Now that all of my parents and elders are either gone or too old to cook, I feel their love and presence with this meal.

Here lately is been chuck roast. Smoked with cherry wood until 165 and then put it in a pan with onions and bell peppers and some Cheerwine. Wrap it up and cook until it falls apart and then make Samiches. Eating that will cause your babies to born nekkid!

A big ole chuck pot roast with potatoes, carrots, onions with brown gravy from the drippings. It was about the only really good dish my mom could cook.

Pot Roast! I smoke the chuckie for a couple hours, then into a cast iron dutch oven with potatoes, carrots and onions and then back on the smoker until the roast is done. I make some egg noodles and a gravy from the pan drippings. It's the same meal that my grandma used to make (except the smoker part, I adapted that part). Little nostalgia with a Brethren twist!

Anything outdoors! Right now I'm focused on brisket and trying to migrate to "hot(er)-n-fast(er)" than my normal 225*, 12-15 hour method. I just do too many family & friends cooks where 12-15 hours takes it off the menu. After that, this Florida boy wants to try and figure out this whole tritip Santa Maria thang. Thanks for startin this thread.

I am becoming a beef rib fan, but by biggest kick lately is frying cube steak (chicken fried steak) outside. I have a Propane camp stove with a low and high pressure burner on my cooking area. A cast iron skillet, egg soaked steak, enriched flour and crushed saltine crackers.....I have one happy family.....

It order of "love to do the most." You said cooking and not eating... so some of these are at the top because they are easier to do than others.

1. Turkey and Dumplins (rolled).... Its not as simple as some believe. I think this is at the top because its easy to make compared to the others below.
2. Deep Frying a Smoked Pork Rack of Spares from the Fridge. I cannot tell you how good these are. No.. there is no breading. But I will dip in the Love Gravy that is made for the Half Assed Chicken in number 4.
3. My sweet tea brined fried chicken that is literally fried in freshly rendered Brisket an Pork fat (Lard). This is THE recipe of the South, straight from the plantation.
4. Deep Fried Chicken for Half Assed Friends Recipe (Posted on this forum)

Back