Got a truck load of pine for the smoker, and a few briskets. Thoughts?

You gotta be hella bored.

Why don't you go boil some ribs and finish them with TendaRub over that wood?

Reading this post taught me a bit, I had never heard of that Australian pine before.
Maybe we call it a different name here.

Google told me we call it ironwood. Common around the coasts down here.

Our pine tree is a foul smelling , oily and insect resistant tree, common cause of chimney fires in country homes that have slow burn fires.
Ironwood is a clean burning wood

You can cook with pretty much any fuel as long as you know what you're doing.

You can't stick burn here because of tar, but pine works fine as long as you burn it down to coals first before shoveling it into your cooker. You'll need a lot of pine though because it doesn't contain as much energy as your typical hardwood.

I've had this go round elsewhere, do not try to use pine wood for cooking(as splits) or for smoke flavor in your UDS or WSM or any other BBQ. Pine contains resin that will boil at low temps and create an ungodly amount of creosote and tar that will foul your cooker.
As for the Black Forest Ham debate, pine or fir sawdust, as well as twigs and cones are used to cold smoke the ham as part of the curing process, a process that take weeks. Black Forest Ham is not cooked with pine.
IMHO if you are going to BBQ with pine(or fir and spruce, too) you might as well throw a skunk on the grate as well and tell us how that tastes with a little sauce on the side.:razz:

OK, so I'm sitting here bored and the though about using pine popped in my head. Why would you do such a dumb thing?
But then again, aren't there areas in the world that only have pine/evergreens, and don't they use that wood to cook with.

Just curious.

Yes....and there are areas in the world where people smoke bugs over smoldering dung fires, for supper. I wouldn't do that either! :biggrin1:
(Well....maybe in a survival situation.) Hahaha.

Cold smoking with pine sawdust, needles or cones might make some sense I suppose, but I'm not gonna be the one to try and prove it. I don't even want to try cedar planking salmon.

SO many fantastic 'one-liners' here, it would take me an hour to reply to each one.
You guys are great, thanks for humoring me.

Oh...one guy I will reply to is that fella in Kansas City.....I'm just over highway 70 east a bit. When you get tired of that molasses y'all call edible and you're ready for some real "Q", come on over my friend. I'll even buy the beer. You'll be the guest of honor. ;)

I have a German friend that COLD-smokes his sausages with Fir and Juniper berries, it does add an unique flavor to his sausages.

Back