• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

KCBS Involvement

A couple of years ago we had an idea to couple a BBQ contest with a fishing tournament. The cooks and fishermen drew for partnership. The cooks cooked the normal 4 meats and the fishing crew did their normal thing. At 2pm the fishing crews were back and they had to provide 1 fish for their BBQ team. The team had 45 minutes to butcher, cook and turn in the fish which was then judged. Fishing tournaments are big bucks and have big sponsors, the fishing people were interested. KCBS wouldn't even answer the emails. The idea died.

That's a cool idea. I don't know why KCBS wouldn't sanction the contest - it's basically just an ancillary.

That's a cool idea. I don't know why KCBS wouldn't sanction the contest - it's basically just an ancillary.
I dunno, Sometimes I feel KCBS is too rigid for it's own good. Take the turkey challenge they have this year. We have not been able to get an answer as to the format for the turn in. Is it straight KCBS meat (just meat and sauce) or can it be more?

They are trying to honor the sponsor and "spread the turkey word" yet, If it's a Standard KCBS turn in (I know they've said open boxing) it's going to be 6 boxes of sliced breast meat with sauce. They should allow creativity (and tell cooks this more than 5 minutes before the contest) "Make turkey the primary element and give us something interesting" Turn in something the public will go ohh,ahh! over.

We had a contest ran along with a BASS Masters event last year. The awards ceremony appeared to be only slightly more attended than when the BBQ awards happened. Seems a lot more exciting on ESPN. That contests doesn't exist this year.

I bet our contest smelled better than theirs. Or maybe that's why we were included. masking

35987574_2177930492440225_700328987804565504_n.jpg

Last edited:
It was a pretty full agenda. I hope I finish listening to this meeting before the next one starts!

I wouldn't expect anything until the meeting is complete.

I meant that I hope to finish listening by next month!:)

I don't know when it happened, but if it wasn't during the meeting it wouldn't appear in the meeting minutes. I'm assuming that it was done after the meeting since he participated.

I don't know when it happened, but if it wasn't during the meeting it wouldn't appear in the meeting minutes. I'm assuming that it was done after the meeting since he participated.

You would be correct. He would not be participating if he had resigned before or during the meeting and you are correct that there would be no real reason to include his resignation in the minutes unless he did it during a meeting.

I do not know Randall, but this is crap that his company is contracted by KCBS.

here is what I would say about that.....until everyone knows 100% of the facts, such as how many people bid on the work, were the bids sealed, who was the most qualified to do the work, who provided the most economical bid, who would likely do the best work and who would dedicate themselves or their company to the contract the most, then I can't say without a doubt that it was a "bad deal" for the KCBS Board to agree to do business with another Board member.

Can it turn out badly? Yes.

does it have to always be a bad thing? Not at all, if done correctly, above board and with a lot of transparency.

I speak from experience when I say this.....I have either served working for a BOD directly or served on other Boards for the last 16 years of my professional life in multiple capacities. I have been a part of well over 320 board meetings in that time. And I can honestly tell you that there are times when the best move for the organization is to do business with another setting Board member. Not very often, but it has and does happen.

And there are also times when that Board member may be the only viable option for the organization to choose.

My guess is that somebody felt strongly about using him, because they all knew it would become public member knowledge that it had been done, and they knew it would likely be controversial......so why did they do it? If I had been on that Board I would have only done it knowing that I truly felt it was the best option or that I knew the dude would be stepping down.

Now in all fairness, I am speaking in generalities.....I understand that. I do not know any of the players involved in this other than a former Board member just a little bit. I don't have answers to any of the questions I speculated about above......so they could have simply made a series of selfish and bad decisions like alot of people feel they have done. But then again, there may be a great deal more to this story than we currently know or may ever know.

Looks like this BOD meeting will be interesting based on the President's Report...

https://kcbs.us/news_manager.php?page=17462

Thanks for posting the link! I was just about to go look to see if the agenda was posted yet.

Between that, and an item further down the agenda I think "interesting" may be a conservative description.

On a positive note, I'll give this board credit for not kicking the can down the road. They've addressed some big issues already, are working on others, and are coming back around to take another look at at least one other issue. It may just be my perception, but it seems that there is more of the sausage being made out front so far than in some past years. I'm not just referring to the last several years, but going further back.

Back