View Single Post
Old 12-21-2017, 03:35 PM   #11
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

As an aside...let me add to the train of thought on another issue.

"If" you decide to go with a 3x cost/price scenario, you are going to lose your drawers (that's your underwear) if you only charge cost for the bun & condiments. If you go with 3x, then you need to cost out everything and go 3x on it ALL.

Personally, I don't do 3x on anything these days other than my highest cost items.

It doesn't seem like a big deal until you actually write it down. My prices are in USD so I'll stick to the % increase over cost.

My BBQ sandwich comes with french fries and on a full food cost analysis I can say that I increase my TOTAL costs by 3.16x (lower than I want, but I had a couple of price increases and menu price is the same).

Sounds pretty close to 3x, right? Well not if you're doing 3x on your meat, then adding in cost for everything else.

If I take my sales price and break out the cost of my bread, codiments, & fries...then figure the Cx of my meat-only increase over cost...get this now...my meat is multiplied on a 9x factor. THEN I would add in my other items at cost to come up with the price I sell a sandwich for.

So if you're figuring your meat on 3x & adding everything else in at cost, then you're going to go broke pretty fast...and none of us want that to happen.

The safest way is to cost everything per menu item. Then do your 3x (or 4x...or whatever "x"). But doing 3x only on the meat is not the correct way.