Multi-use UDS

Mtmouse

Reaction score
For the past year I have been using my UDS as a substitute "conventional" BBQ, with limited success. The problem is the heat source is too far away from the cooking surface in order to get a good sear on the meat.

So today I decided to modify one of my UDS's so I can use it as a BBQ when needed. All I needed to do was drill four more holes 6" below my cooking grate for another set of bolts....I was going to do this anyways to add a second grate for larger smokes. I put two grates on top of one another (to limit the holes sizes as not to lose the small bits of charcoal) I'm sure one grate would have worked just fine, but I had an extra one sitting around.

Now I should be able to get a good sear on my steaks, etc....without reverting back to my gasser. I will be doing a test run tonight with some shish kabobs.

IMG-20110617-00034.jpg

IMG-20110617-00036.jpg

IMG-20110617-00035.jpg

I wonder how long those cooking grates will hold up using them as charcoal grates?

I've thought about similar mods, but haven't done anything. Let us know how it goes.

Hey,Mtmouse. Do a search for Grilling on a UDS. Post #7 by Southern Home Boy will give you an example of how to. I remember seeing some good ideas to do just that, cant remember where though .

Looks like a great idea, but you might want to think of some sort of barrier between the charcoal and the sides of you drum. Those hot coals could burn and discolor the outside of the drum, I think anyway.

Looks like a great idea, but you might want to think of some sort of barrier between the charcoal and the sides of you drum. Those hot coals could burn and discolor the outside of the drum, I think anyway.

my thought as well.

I'm planning on doing something similar, only the charcoal basket will be sitting on it's own grate about 10" below cooking grate. All it takes is 4 more bolts installed in the drum, and set the original basket on the lowest grate. It has a pizza pan ash catcher mounted to bottom, so no worries burning out the cooking grate.

I added 3 bolts to put another cooking grate in to hold my charcoal basket just below the cooking grate. Works great. This is how I make my new UDS's. However, I can't use the 550degree engine paint. I have to use the 1100 degree stuff which costs more....

I added 3 bolts to put another cooking grate in to hold my charcoal basket just below the cooking grate. Works great. This is how I make my new UDS's. However, I can't use the 550degree engine paint. I have to use the 1100 degree stuff which costs more....

With all that extra $$$$$ you are making now selling the custom Weber handles now?????? JK Marty

Not a very good location for the thermometer for that grilling setup.

just sayin'

you might want to think of some sort of barrier between the charcoal and the sides of you drum. Those hot coals could burn and discolor the outside of the drum, I think anyway.

Too late.:icon_blush:

What I have learned....besides above:

1. Use less charcoal.

2. Remove the firebox from below (with charcoal in it) or get a pizza pan to cover it so the burning coals that fall through won't light the lower coals.

Needless to say there was enough heat to make a great pizza oven or incinerator, but I think with a couple little tweaks it should suit my needs.

I used a stand from an outdoor burner to raise my firebasket and it was a perfect height and had perfect heat. My prob was that flame-ups were brutal cooking burgers and then sticking my hand down into the drum to flip them was HOT being that my grate is 8" below the rim surface. I'm sure steaks or anything you can use tongs on would be fine but using a spatula was brutal. But I was looking for a good excuse to buy a performer anyway so I didn't try again. Haha

Lag the lurker

Back