• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Traditional NC Bar-B-Q (Lexington style) - Secrets from SirPorkalot HQ

I am from western SC and put no sauce on mine. I also don't usually put it on a bun with slaw. If it goes on a bun, there will be DUKE"Smayonaise on it. But, I will definately try this. Is the slaw a sweet slaw?

Great tutorial by the way. Sammie looks awesome!!!!

I don't do the mustard sauce either.

No just a standard mayo based cole slaw. I usually use a (we call it red slaw) cider vinegar bbq slaw, like guerry's slaw (search for it on here), but I like a white slaw at times too.

Thanks for posting this info. I used this info yesterday as a guide to make my first butt, and it was fantastic.

Thanks! I tried this on a 9#'er today. First time I've ever cooked a butt with no rub, but it damn sure wont be the last! Cooked at 300*, salted it around 140* or so. From now on 300* will be my temp for butts. No stall! The bone pulled free at 207*.

I made the sauce too. Man it was good! Sent some PP over to my folks house. They said it was the best I'd ever done !

This is my new way to cook butts. Thanks!

I have recently (once again) began to tire of hearing about "flavor profiles" and injecting this and foiling that...!!!!!

So after a time away from my favorite Internet forum and all around home for the whack-a-doodles, I have returned with a friendly reminder:

Folks it is not always about the additives and crutches as it is experiencing smoked meat as it was meant to to be.

Primal, simple, delicious.

PUT DOWN THE FARKING FOIL!!!

DON'T TOUCH THE INJECTOR!!

Be careful out there, the internets can be a scary place.

:cool:

I went to Lexington one time and got some 'Q and was told to order some "outside brown". Can't remember what that means though.

I have recently (once again) began to tire of hearing about "flavor profiles" and injecting this and foiling that...!!!!!

So after a time away from my favorite Internet forum and all around home for the whack-a-doodles, I have returned with a friendly reminder:

Folks it is not always about the additives and crutches as it is experiencing smoked meat as it was meant to to be.

I'm soo with you John!!

I've never understood any of this, I mean, after a good long boil in BBQ sauce and vinegar to get it ready for the BBQ, why screw around like that?:doh::doh:

Am I right?:biggrin1::biggrin1:

As a conflicted Tarheel (lived in low country, mountains, and Piedmont... and I love each style for its own merits), I appreciate any tidbits like this I can read to help me get my beloved 'cue out here in the Pacific!

I've been jonesing for some Lexington style 'cue as of late... may just have to fire that up next weekend.

Thanks again!
SD

I'm soo with you John!!

I've never understood any of this, I mean, after a good long boil in BBQ sauce and vinegar to get it ready for the BBQ, why screw around like that?:doh::doh:

Am I right?:biggrin1::biggrin1:

Never forget to ease open the SPAM can before the boil. :wink:
Later,
Doug

I went to Lexington one time and got some 'Q and was told to order some "outside brown". Can't remember what that means though.

Outside brown refers to having some of the bark (not hard) included. If you don't ask, you likely won't get (or much). I learned this quickly after moving here.

I'm with ya! If it doesn't taste good without all that other stuff, you're using sorry meat. :biggrin1:

What's the benefit of salting in the middle of the cook?

I can't say for sure, as I learned this from some old timers, but my guess is that is it helps keep the heavy amount of salt from leaching into the meat too early.

I have salted prior to cooking and noticed a distinctly saltier taste.

Missed this first time around. Excellent post John! Or, is it Tim? I forget.

To complete the NC BBQ sandwich, you must use CWB (cheap white buns), and some of the finishing sauce as a dipping sauce.
You also MUST use slaw: white coleslaw or red BBQ slaw - your choice.

IMG_1705.JPG

:biggrin1:

Anyhoo, other than your slaw selection, which sucks (Creamy slaw? Hellfire and Damnation, Son!!!), and your finishing sauce having an OUTRAGEOUS and UNGODLY amount of sugar (Meaning, any. Whatsoever. Period. And let's not EVEN get into the ketchup thing...), I would still eat that. :mrgreen: Think my great aunt Helen who lived in NC round Winston/Salem way, would have enjoyed one too. :thumb::thumb:

Back